• In the Spotlight:

How do I get her to take a bottle? I have finally decided to start weaning her, but she refuses to take a bottle. She is 10 months old. Is it too late? I have also tried a sippy cup and she only wants to nurse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you having your SO or someone else try to give it to her? She may not take it from you since she knows you have the "good stuff"! Also, have them try to give it to her in a similar position like breastfeeding. OR in a completely different position like in a carrier/sling. Obviously, make sure it's warmed up. Try a different nipple (i.e. fast flow). Remember, if she's hungry enough, she'll eat!!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 8:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Are you using formula or breastmilk?
    she may not even accept formula (taste formula-GROSS!... taste breastmilk-its sweet)... Which would you want? LOL.
    Have you tried pumping & putting it in a bottle & letting someone else give it to her? she may take it that way... But the key is letting someone else give it to her!
    If its not to hard, continute nursing her for 2 more months & then you can wean her off formula & breastmilk. why waiste your money & start buying it now when you have saved so much!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:00 PM on May. 4, 2009

• 10 months?Well first off congratulations on the milestone!Great job mama!

If you have some pumped milk already then offer her BM.If you do not have pumped I would try pumping a bit and offer 1/2 and half,slowly weaning her to formula.

Id skip the bottle!I know for my breast fed babies I had to offer sippy cups with straws,you just have to expierament to what they like.

Think about this,thay have had soft breasts in thier mouths for the past months to stick a hard sippy in thier mouth is hard,gradually build up to the harder cups.The resason I suggest harder cups is because they will bite the soft ones and they will leak.Also sippies are better for launguage devolpment.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:17 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You only have 2 months to go (big congrats for making it this far) why in the world would you introduce such an inferior product? Your child knows the difference and is making the right choice for her which is all that should matter to mom. You only have 2 more months why cause such a problem for her (in so many ways)? Baby knows what is best you should follow her lead.

Anonymous

• not sure why you are choosing to wean so early from the breast? My son was 10 months when I introduced solids for the first time. She is still a baby so if you can contunue to nurse-it is normal to nurse a baby to 24 months but at least truy and make it to one year.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:35 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I would wait til a year so that no pumping or formula is needed, then cut one feeding a week...seriously a week and replace it with more solids or a bit of cows milk in a sippy...at 12 months you can just up solids with Calcium and Vit D in it to offset the lack of nursing....at 10 months 4 nursings a day is enough...consider waiting to wean til 12 months...theres a nursings trike around that time and it should make things a bit easier
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I love the comments about your child not wanting formula because she's had breast milk for so long and because she "knows" breast milk is better for her. But have you ever tried giving a formula fed baby breastmilk? I've seen my sister try and they don't like it at all. It's just what the baby's used to, not the fact that breast milk is "oh so much better".

Anyway, I agree that having someone else try to give it to her will help, I also agree with going straight to a sippy (at least to start with). You could also try giving her the sippy cup with formula during meals, she'll probably take at least a few swigs in between bites of solid food, and get used to the taste.

Good luck, congrats on making it to 10 months! That's a long time!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:57 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It's too late to make her want something as gross as formula. At this point, you don't want to intro a bottle. It's a terrible habit to break. Unlike the breast which is better for the mouth the longer you nurse, bottles are bad for their oral development. They have to be off bottles by 1yr. Just keep nursing. The natural time to wean is when the child does so willingly. The nutritional benefits are amazing. The only reason kids are put on whole milk at 1 is to replace the fats they aren't getting from breast milk. You can keep giving that and so much more with nursing instead of adjusting her to something orally harmful that tastes nasty.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:05 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Skip the bottle, you don't want to have to wean twice. If you're being pressured into weaning, educate yourself on the benefits of child-led weaning. I got a LOT of pressure to wean until I started returning the pressure to those that tried to tell me how to parent my child. :)

If you're really wanting to wean yourself, just go with a sippy. Expect your child to have emotional withdrawal. She'll wonder why you're refusing to give her the comfort and food source that she's used to, and that she still biologically needs. Try introducing a lovey while nursing, and hope that she'll transfer her feeling of needing comfort from you to the lovey. It will make the weaning a bit easier for her to take.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 11:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. You can try pumping and offering breastmilk in a Sigg (or other stainless steel) sippy cup. If you can hold out for a few more months, then you can give her water to drink, along with a variety of nutritious foods, and skip the formula altogether. There is a great book on feeding babies and toddlers called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; you should be able to find it at your local library, and there is more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 AM on May. 5, 2009