Security item

Any of your kids have an item that they refuse to give up? My son has a teletubby [Laa-Laa] that he loves to death and can't sleep without.Everyone gives him a hard time because he's 8.I say because of his autism,he can have her forever if that's what makes him happy! He leaves her at home,so its not an issue.

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 8:25 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• That's absolutely ridiculous that people would find it funny that a child with autism has a security item. My kids (26 m/o and 15 m/o) both have a build-a-bear with their daddy's voice in them because he is currently deployed. And my son has a waffle blankie that he loves a lot. When I was pregnant with my 26 m/o at age 18, I still slept with my Simba stuffed animal. There is NOTHING wrong with having a security item at any age.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 8:53 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My 20 year old boyfriend who is going to be the father of my child has this blanket that he has had ever since he was a baby and he cant sleep without it and he wont give it up. I think its perfectly fine.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• awww! That's actually sweet!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:43 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son is 13 and still sleeps with his Winnie the Pooh blanket he had as a baby, he also sleeps with his favorite stuffed wolf that he got at the zoo when he was 3. I see no problem with it at all. I know kids that have gone off the college with their blankies stuffed inside a pillowcase.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:02 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think it's fine. He will give it up when he is ready.
    FullTimeMOM823

Answer by FullTimeMOM823 at 10:40 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My ex has this thing for pillow cases. He has to constantly be twiddling the edges of them. They're torn and raggy. He even drives with them in his sleeves. My 18 mos old has things she likes, but I'm the only one she's attached to =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think it is fine, people should leave him alone
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 10:53 PM on May. 4, 2009