He bit the vet

My dauchand is 2 years old.He NOT the friedliest but is good with my kids.He barks at everyone else.We tend to put him in another room when expecting company(about once a month a few hours at a time) just so hes not too loud.We had to buy a shock collar because we got noise complaints.The shock collar helped we were really pleased.We took him to the vet to update his shots and he was fine!He was well behaved when leaving him(this vet does a drop off service-that is something new for us)..however when we went to pick him up we could see him thru the glass and Im sure he was excited.They had the kenals stacked and he was on the 2nd row -why I dont know!But she opened the cage and he bit her I think it was in responce to him injuring himself.She opened the kennel door he went to jump and pulled his toe nail out causing him to bleed ALL OVER..but he did bite her.I was embarresed.Has anything ever happened to you?

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 8:42 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Pets

• I forgot to mention the vet was fine,scratched her a bit but did not draw blood.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Shock collar on a dachshund? Sigh.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 9:20 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Oh trust me I know!We have lived in apartments since we had him!We never once had to do anything about it but we were being threatened with animal patrol and the thought of loosing our home (town house) I had no choise.It would of been more painful to get rid of him.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:37 PM on May. 4, 2009

• yeah that dog is waaaay to little to have a collar on....(shock)..that's probably why he bit honestly. My dogs have them but theyre 90 lbs......he's probably on the defense..well, anyway, vets are used to it, now they will proably have to muzzle him when he goes. My moms chihuahua has to get muzzled when they clip her toenails...nasty little dogs =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:54 PM on May. 4, 2009

• my cat bite the vet he just laughed and said it was one of his job hazards.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:04 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Thanks ladies for the replies,makes me feel better.They gathered about 8 employees around this lady to verify she was okay and it was the dog who was bleeding lol.

We did not have the shock collar on him while at the vet,we only have it on him when we are away from the home.And the shock collar rarly works because hes so small it just turns.Ill buy a muzzle for the vets office.The instructions with the collar does say it works on a dog his size...but imo it doesnt very well.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:45 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I used to work as a vet tech and it happens all the time. Next time you go just inform them on your dogs temprament and they will put a warning on the cage so they know to be cautious. Dauchands tend to be "family oriented." Your dogs behavoir is normal for the breed, but you may want to try and socialize him more. An alternative to a shock collar is a lemon-spritizing collar. It sprays a yucky tasting mist into the dogs face instead of the shock collar. And a good part of it is your dog will always smell lemon fresh!
    ajw05703

Answer by ajw05703 at 11:34 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree with ajw05703. I too use to be a Vet Tech, and it is a part of the job. It is also the breeds nature to bite and be defensive. He felt trapped. You dropped him off, left him with strangers who poked and prodded at him, and "trapped" him a cage. It just happends. I will always mussle a small dog, (chihuahua, dauschund, shi tzu, etc.) before I would even think about mussling a big or medium dog. Smalls dogs have a "big dog" complex and feel they must show us just how tough they are. O and they probably had him in the second row so that they could save the bottom kennels for bigger dogs who aren't as easy to pick up.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 3:02 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Omg, they would n't have the shock collar on him at the vet. They are for training purposes. And they make them for all dogs sizes. They simply don't shock as hard for the little dogs. But they can be very useful in training. And they are not as cruel as they sound. It isn't like you sit there and try to burn the hair off them. You shock them once and it gets there attention.
    Now to answer your question. I almost had that happen to me. I took my little dog (a dauchsund also) in for shots and check up and he snapped at the vet when he stuck the needle in. I guess it hurt that time because he has never done that before. ANyways, he missed but they ended up muzzling him for the rest of the exam. The vet said he had to because if he did bite him he would have to quarintine him for 10 days. That did not go over well with me so i changes vets. If that is the case, they shoudl automatically muzzle the pets.
    Anonymous

• Wow I never expected such possitive results,I really appreciate that!I knda prepare myself to be attack in the questions lol.

I am very intrested in the lemon collar,could you send me info?
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 6:51 PM on May. 5, 2009