So many answers....HELP PLEASE

i asked the question of : how far along were you with your first ultrasound! many women answered with like 5-8 weeks some were a little later but not many I am 11 weeks pregnant should i get my first ultrasound at my twelve week check up which will be my 3rd visit? to check for heart beat and other stuff ???? Help first time worrying about this lol

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 8:53 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You probably won't get it till 20 weeks then. An early on is in case you don't know when your last period was and for them to tell how far along you are. Most people don't get an early one.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• it depends on doctor.but you usually hear heartbeat at 12 weeks but with a heart monitor not ultrasound most doctors do not do ultrasounds til 16 to 20 weeks unless you do not know exact date of last period or something is wrong.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 8:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• The people who answered 5-8 weeks probably had an internal ultrasound taken. That's what I had at that time. Then I didn't get an external ultrasound until 18 weeks, which is too early, if you ask me, if you want to know the sex of the baby. They told me 90% chance a girl, and then at 23 weeks it's definitely a boy! I heard the heartbeat at about 10 -12 weeks.
    Anonymous

• Unless you're high risk (older than 35, have had miscarriages, etc...) you usually don't have more than 2 or 3 your entire pregnancy and the first one between 12 and 20 weeks depending on your doctor.
    Anonymous

• I only had 2 ultrasounds. I had one at 9 weeks to see how the fetus was developing. This was with a regular u/s wand thing, not the internal one. Then had the long one at 19-20 weeks where they did all the wonderful measuring.

Some doctors only do the 19-20 week one. I really don't recall knowing I was getting the u/s done. I think I asked the nurse if I was going to have one before the big one. Call the office and check. You could always have your doctor give you one, or write a script for one if they don't have a machine in their office.

ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:37 PM on May. 4, 2009

• ask about a birth defect screening, i am almost 4 months and i got screened for birth defects when i was about 12 to 13 weeks, they will do a detailed ultrasound and draw your blood. it's really neat to see the baby in there. they didn't draw my blood though because we couldn't get my baby to move into the right position to get the measurements. it's okay because i can try again later. i also had my first ultrasound at about 8 or 9 weeks because i was having cramping it was from a cyst on my ovary, i'm pretty sure it ruptured though. good luck in your pregnancy and parenting.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:37 PM on May. 4, 2009

• i had one at 20 weeks to determine sex. and im 30 weeks now and havent had any more, and the dr hasnt said ne thing about having any more. sorry hope this helps.
    ChloeMom0709

Answer by ChloeMom0709 at 11:10 AM on May. 5, 2009