Moms with small babies: do you get tired of others assuming that you don't feed your child enough?

I do! My dd is 10 mos old and is 17 pounds. She's just little...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 10 month old is 16.5 pounds, and she wears a 0-3 mos pants!!! She's a skinny one. I swear people think I'm starving her. She is skinny because she's tall (30 inches long). My SO has taken to "sneaking" her food when I'm not looking ,as if I'm not feeding her enough, and he needs to "fatten" her up. It makes me feel like a bad mother. But her doctor is not showing any concern, so long as she steadily gains weight and doesn't lose any.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• That weight is fine,its not really small actually.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:01 PM on May. 4, 2009

• LOL, yeah! My DD will be six this June. She just went through a growth spurt and now weighs a little over 26 pounds. She's really short too though.... still wears a 2T

My son who will be 4 in May is still wearing 2T or 3T. I think he is about 30 pounds.

My ten year old weighs about 56 pounds and wears size 7.

I guess I am just meant to have small kids. (I'm over weight now, but wasn't as a kid. I am only 5' 2")
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:12 PM on May. 4, 2009

• oh yeah forgot to add.... my almost six year old was between 19 and 20 pounds for 3 years before she hit this growth spurt! She has put on six pounds in the last seven months!!

She was over two years old before she hit 17 pounds
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My MIL is the worst! When my first was born at 22inches and 8.5lbs she wouldn't stop talking about how small he was. WTF...he was huge. Throughout his entire life she is always criticizing me because he is skinny. "well my Nathan was a big boy, I don't know why you don't feed that boy and plump him up"
    Our second was 22inches and 9.1lbs and she kept saying how small he was too.
    Our third really was small at 8.1lbs and 19 1/2inches. At a year he was only 17.5 lbs.
    She has finally stopped implying that he is too little. I think my telling her to back off helped.
    Juts tell the rude ladies to F-off and to mind their own business.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:32 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'm on the other end of the spectrum :)

My son is 11 months old and probably over 25 lbs now, haven't weighed him in a while. Most people think he is around 18 months old. He wears 18 month and some 24 month clothing now. Not only is he in the top %tiles in weight, but he is also in height. My DH is 6'4", so I'm thinking he's going to take after him :)

Yea, I love the responses ... "Wow, that's a big boy!" ... yea, all I say is "Yup, he doesn't miss a meal" or "Yea, he's a big eater" ... I think its kind of funny :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:34 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I kinda relate. People assume that my daughter is starving cause she's primarily breast fed (by her choice) and that I'm denying her nutrition by not pushing solids. But she's always been average or way above average in weight. I blame "averages". People take it as "All babies should this much or close to it." I had an OB yell at me for gaining more than the average weight during my pregnancy. A nutritionist said I was underweight, so I needed to gain more, but that DR just saw a number.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:57 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My kids are/were really skinny too. My oldest was 6 lb 10 oz at birth, people would ask if he was a preemie. He was a little small, but well within normal range! It used to really piss my DH off.

My kids are 9 & 11 and both weight about 60 pounds. Sure, they have friends who are a head taller and weigh close to 100 lbs., but they also have friends who are smaller than them, too. *shrug*

It's funny, but it's people with fat babies who thought my babies were too thin, and fat adults who tell me I need to "fatten 'em up". My kids are healthy: they eat healthy, get lots of exercise, and are never sick. I see no reason to "fatten 'em up" to please some overweight adult who doesn't know any better.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:26 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Don't take them too seriously. I was told "too much" and "too little" and "you hold him too much" and "you didn't pick him up fast enough". People just like to kvetch or find problems where there really aren't any.

I pretty much just let everything go in one ear and out the other as far as unsolicited comments. :)
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:54 PM on May. 4, 2009

• my son weighed 6lbs 15 oz at birth and didnt hit 7 lbs until he was 7 wks old, i know exactly how you feel. even now, though he's grown considerably he's still small, and everyone asks me how much and how often i feed him, even my own mother.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 10:58 PM on May. 4, 2009