I find stains on my twins clothes all the time, what am I doing wrong?

I use cold water, is that my first problem? I use cold to save money. I try and shout the stains but I miss many of them. What are some things I can do so I do not keep ruining my kids clothes??

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:13 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Are you using dryer sheets or liquid softener? I found when I was using the sheets they actually spotted some clothes.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• also avoid giving them juice that is red without a sippy cup
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:29 PM on May. 4, 2009

• really dryer sheets stain clothes?? i never knew that!! i always thought it was the detergent. You learn something new everyday!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 9:45 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Put Oxy clean in with your laundry soap. Soak or treat the stain immediatley. If the stain is still there after washing, DO NOT dry the article of clothes, the stain will set in the dryer. Make sure there are no crayons or pens in the washer. Run the washer through one cycle without any clothes in it. My grandma told me to do this once in a while to make sure there is no grease in the washer. If they are boys, you are gonna have stained clothes a lot. Boys seem to attract dirt without even trying.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Yeah - agree with PP. Oxyclean is awesome! Put some directly on the stain (a little with water) and then when it's wash time drop a scoop in with the clothes or in with the detergent.
    Anonymous

• My saving grace was legwarmers and smocks!

I put legwarmers over the legs of their nicer pants (I have twin girls, and I used Baby Legs) before I let them go wild, and if it looked messy, we used old t-shirts of big sister's as smocks (Rip or cut them up the back, sew on some bright cotton calico scraps to use as ties, have a messy time.)

In summer, they just wear the baby legs instead of pants (I knit some of my own in Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton) and sometimes they're just wearing the smocks. It's a happy kind of outfit for a busy pair of two year olds.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 10:59 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I've never heard of dryer sheets staining clothes but liquid softener tends to, especially on light colored clothing.

Cold water should be fine...Just find a stain remover that's specially designed for cold water (I rarely ever wash in hot...Only on things that are SUPER soiled--vomit or fecal matter messes, towels when they're seeming extra funky....)
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:16 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I never heard of it either. It was driving me nuts when I would see what looked like grease marks on our clothes, so I just happened to pick up my box of dryer sheets and it had a warning on there that it may stain clothes. After that I went to the liquid and never had a problem again. I also agree with the oxy-clean and I also use Zout. I love them both.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:44 AM on May. 5, 2009