My 19 month old son has me baffled with sleep time.

Out of no where my son freaks out when its time to go to sleep. He was completely fine with it until about a week ago. It went to just night time to even nap times. We tried a night light thinking he is scared but nothing seems to work. Has this happened to you and is just a phase or is there a reason?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:19 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is possibly explained by "night terrors" - nightmares begin at about 18 months. Also, since this is one of separation anxiety's last hurrahs, he could be overly anxious about whether he'll ever see you again. Maybe a tape of you singing in his room during nap time? If that makes it worse, the only real cure for separation anxiety is togetherness and time.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 10:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Me too, but my daughter just switched to the toddler bed. It was her crib just without that one side. I didnt think she would even notice as long as the ritual stayed the same but I was soooo wrong. She is almost 19mos and I thought it was best to do the switch now, seems like change is kinda easier when they are little and dont really remember stuff. Its getting better. i just stay in there with her untiul she falls asleep. Maybe you could try that. I dont let her come out of her bed though. I just sit there and run my fingers through her hair and rub her back until she gets relaxed and falls asleep.
    Mybblz

Answer by Mybblz at 11:05 PM on May. 4, 2009

• i agree with rainbowlight. my 6yr used to have night terrors she would sit up,eyes open, but not seem to know who I was or where she was. I would rub her back and tell her i love her and its going to be ok then she would lay back down. so try that rub his back and reassure him its ok
    talk to his doctor about night terrors.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:17 PM on May. 4, 2009

• About that age is when my daughter first discovered the concept of monsters and started complaining about them in her room.
    I bought a stuffed dragon and explained that the monsters were scared of the dragon. The dragon will roar if he sees a monster, will bite the monster, and chase it out of the room. Gleep worked like a charm - no roaring, no biting - simply because the monsters all ran away.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We've done this drill a couple of times with my son. he went from put him in his crib/bed and leave the room to screaming the second we put him down. We solved the problem by simply sitting in the room until he fell asleep. We limited interaction to nothing more than "time to go night-night" when needed. When we had the problem after he moved to the bed, we would only stay in the room if he stayed in the bed. If he got out, we left then returned after a few minutes of screaming and started again. After a few weeks the problem stopped as abruptly as it started. If he's still in a crib, buy yourself a booklight and make use of the time! You can also try gradually moving where you sit. Start in a chair near the bed, then move to the doorway, then just otuside the door, etc. Try to avoid making it into a battle as that just aggravates the problem.
    Anonymous