How do i get them to sleep in the same room?

My DSS is 3yrs old. My mom died last month and i'm going to adopt my 4yr old little brother. For the time being at least, they are going to share a room. But i cant get them to sleep in the same room. They are driving me crazy! how do i do it? they HAVE to learn to go to bed in the same room.
They stay up talking and playing or whatever until i move one out of the room. ...but it cant keep happening like that. Any suggestions? I will not put a TV in the room. I plan on buying a little boombox as soon as i can, but i dont think that will be enough help. They take turns taking a bath every other night. Please! i need help.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 9:48 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids are 3 and 4. They sleep in the same room...but then again they ALWAYS have. Here is a trick...whichever falls asleep easier should be put to bed first. So if you want them both asleep by 8:30 you should do the bedtime routine together (bath, teeth, book)...put the first to bed at 7:30 or 7:45...wait until he is asleep and put the second one to bed....it works when I babysit for my cousin...in that case I have 6 under 6 yrs and I would never be able to get them to sleep if I did it any other way.

If you are not sure which falls asleep faster...try to think about which one sleeps in the car most often and which one is the most cranky if he doesn't have a nap. My 3 yr old is an emotional wreck at dinner time if she hasn't napped!
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 10:02 PM on May. 4, 2009

• well how big is the room if it is really tiny stack it full of books,crayons ect., A cd player might work???
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• how are books and crayons going to put the boys to sleep? they can stay up all night just talking. let alone giving them something to do.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• well you can read them books or get books on tape from the library.
    I have a 3 and 5 yr. old and use a tv but you have to wear out their mind somehow too after excercise time. Perhaps a Bible story to tuck them in and help them not be aftaid of the dark,get a night light.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:57 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Taking one child out of the room shows them that they can talk until you take action. Instead you either need to read until one falls asleep or stand at the door telling them that they can not talk until they fall asleep. I have 3 bedrooms and 4 kids. I have to still tell the 9 year old to turn out the lights and be quite even though she has the almost 2 yo in her room. And lets not get started on the 7 and 4 yolds. They are crazy about not sleeping!! I have found that they go to sleep quicker on days that we have done a lot but not as quick on these rainy days that they can not run wild on. Just be persistent.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:25 AM on May. 6, 2009