My son is 21 mo and is turning into a picky eater help!

I don't know if I should give him what he wants or try to make him eat what we eat with reason and if he doesn't eat let him go hungry to teach him this is how it is. What would you suggest?

momluja

Asked by momluja at 10:01 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He won't let himself starve. I have served my son the same meal for 3 different times. I only expect him to take one bite and at least try it. Something that has worked really well for us - I recently bought a plate that has 4 sections to it. I actually got it in the dollar section at Target. He gets so upset if I don't fill every spot. I will put just a little of food he doesn't like (veggies), some fruit, main dish, and a snack or a dip for the other things. He has to eat from every section and loves it!! And even if I know he doesn't like something, he still gets it and has to take a bite of it when we have it. His taste has already changed on some things!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son is still a baby but I use to teach at a daycare... with a whole class full of picky eaters!
    The general rule was... they were given a small portion of each food. They had to take at least 1 bite of everything on their plate before they could have more of something else (and the "more" wasn't every very much) and then they would have to do it over again if they wanted more. They usually liked something on their plate.
    Some kids didn't want to eat so they didn't have to.... but nothing extra until snack time. They would usually eat up their snack without complaints because they were so hungry.... so make sure the snack is healthy!
    Don't make special meals or only foods you know he likes or he won't learn to be a better eater.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:10 PM on May. 4, 2009

• To some extent, food jags (eating only one food and asking for it constantly) are normal. I've never let one go beyond three meals. When I make menus, I make sure at least one food is familiar, then I can add one new one. All the vegetables except lima beans tend to go down my girls without a complaint. (We just pile the lima beans to the side. No big.) If I want to introduce something important, I hide it in a combination food the girls like (fried rice, spaghetti sauce (you can puree darn near ANYTHING) meatballs, etc. I serve it that way for 4-6 meals, and then I introduce it on its own (like spinach.) We had lasagne florentine for months, then I introduced spinach. It went over quite well.

rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 10:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• This is an age appropriate phase, and will pass. continue to offer a variety of healthy foods, along with plenty of water. Good foods at this age are frozen peas and blueberries (still frozen), avocado, cooked sweet potato, tofu cubes, hummus, whole wheat pasta dipped in sauce. You can sprinkle ground flax seeds or hemp oil in foods for extra nutrition.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My rule of thumb... I'm not a short order cook (well... not at home) I make what we eat for whenever... if you dont like it... fine dont eat it but I am not making you something else... Kids arent dumb they wont let themselves starve... at this age they dont really need choices... DS also doesnt get more of something unless he has finished everything else on his plate
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 9:50 AM on May. 5, 2009