Please help

I am 23 weeks pregnant with twins. I am having what I think are braxton hicks. I have been having them for about 4 hours today and I haven't done anything. I have been laying on the couch. My tummy gets really tight almost to the point of hurting and I have a backache and cramps. I don't know how to tell the difference between the real ones and fake ones. Does this sound normal?

TiffanyReed

Asked by TiffanyReed at 10:04 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• try walking around for a bit, drink a glass of cold water then lay down on your left hand side. also when you start to feel the contraction come on, get up and walk around, if they don't go away with that it may not be braxton hicks and you will probably have to go into the hospital
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It seems normal. They are real if they get more painful and get closer together. If they don't progress like that then they are just braxton hicks and everything is fine. Also watch and see if anything changes when you move.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:10 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I took a shower and it didn't help at all.
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 10:10 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have always heard that braxton hicks are irregular where as real contractions come in a regular sequence. You should time from the beginning of one to the beginning of the next! If nothing else, call your doctor or go to the hospital, it's better safe than sorry, and they really won't look at you like you're crazy! I promise!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:24 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Real contractions would progressivly get stronger and closer together. Try moving around a little bit , drink water, and have a light snack. If things don't change or you think you are haveing the real thing head to labor and delivery.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:36 PM on May. 4, 2009

• BH are normal
    Anonymous