I can't breathe

My dr. told me a couple weeks ago it was probably anxiety attacks and gave me lorazepam. But it's almost constant now. If I walk down the hall, or up and down the steps, or talk to much, or even get excited or irritated, I just can't catch my breath. I am constantly coughing, yawning, drinking water, just to try to calm down to catch my breath. I'm 29, isn't that a little old for asthma to start? I don't know what is the deal. I have leaky heart valves, have had for years, but have never had symptoms like this. If dh didn't work 3rd shift and i wern't home alone with the kids, I would have went to the ER earlier. I have never had this problem. Any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Health

• you can develop asthma at any age. since you have heart valve problems you should probably get your hubby to come home and take you to ER. find someone to keep your kids over night and you and hubby go. you need to take care of yourself first. your kids need their mom and you need to do everything in your power to ensure that. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:09 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Sounds more like asthma than an anxiety attack. I have both and that is how I feel when I am having an asthma attack. No, you are not too old to get asthma. I would get checked out and I would have my heart checked again, it could be something with your leaky heart valve. Hope you feel better soon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on May. 4, 2009

• sounds serious call 911 and they will help you-prayers!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:10 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Thanks guys. My mom lives nearby, I think i will call her and see if she will come over if it flares up again. it's calmed down for now. I have been laying down and trying to rest. I work directly across the street from an urgent care facility so I am definatly going in the morning if I don't go tonight!
    Anonymous

• Just out of curiosity, and future reference, what does the coffee do?
    Anonymous

• I would say it's a asthma attach too. Make a really strong cup of coffee and call some one to take you to the ER . I have Asthma and i'm 39.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 10:24 PM on May. 4, 2009

• coffee has theodur in it ...it's a bronchio dialator....same stuff they use in asthma meds
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 10:26 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Good to know. Thanks!
    Anonymous

• I have anxiety too but it never makes me short of breath all day. Only during a panic attack. next time this happens you should have someone drive you to the hospital ER or call 911. You won't know if you are going to get worse or not until it's too late.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:30 PM on May. 4, 2009