• In the Spotlight:

How is Co-Sleeping safer?

I'm just wondering as thats what everyone is saying. But, i just don't understand. Can someone explain please.

Not trying to start arguments or anything. I just want to know what makes co-sleeping safer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would just like to point out i will never share my bed with my baby. EVER. I just wanted to know why some people do it. To one of the PP. I thought co-sleeping was sharing a bed with the baby.

I was already going to have the baby in the room with me anyway. Just in his own bed. No, i would never let him CIO. He is having his own bed, but i'm gonna go to him when he needs me.

Everyone made out that co-sleeping was sleeping in the same bed as the parents.

Also, everyone keeps saying mothers instincts. What about the father?
    Anonymous

• It's not. Don't you read the news? It's very dangerous, and simply confusing to your child. Not to mention very unhealthy and confusing on your love life.
    Anonymous

• only if that is the only way you can sleep
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:12 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I KNOW! which is why i am wondering why mothers are saying its safer?
    Anonymous

• I don't like it with a new born baby, it makes me nervous. We slept with our son in a bed that pushes right up against our bed for the first 5 months. He had his own space but was practically in bed with us. It was nice because I was right there if he needed me and it made night feedings easier!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:14 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I am by no means an authority on this issue! These are just my thoughts. Studies have now proven that having your baby in your room reduces the cases of SIDS. I wonder what they would find if they studied co-sleeping. That is how it was done for centuries. I wonder if SIDS wouldn't exist if we co-slept. Laying so close to us, hearing our breathing - like maybe somehow it would trigger a rythm in the baby to breathe? Just my thoughts as to why it may be safer. Now if you are a very hard and restless sleeper - I don't think I would sleep with the baby in my bed. But I lay facing my baby and never move during the night (I don't regularly co-sleep, just sometimes).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:14 PM on May. 4, 2009

• What a moronic answer Anon :11pm

Co-sleeping is only dangerous to those who don't do it correctly. If you have more than two braincells it is obvious how to correctly co-sleep.
    Anonymous

• It's probably going to take several posts to correct some of the ignorance posted above me, so hang on :p

Cosleeping is safer for several reasons. Babies are biologically designed to be in constant body contact from brith until they are old enough to crawl away intentionally. When babies sleep with an adult they not only feel more comforted and have their needs met more quickly, their sleep cycles actually sychronize with the adult with whom they are sharing sleep. This protects against SIDS because SIDS is believed to be (among other things) an arousal problem. Babies who die of SIDS are shown to have abnormalities in the part of their brain that regulates arousal from sleep. Basically, SIDS babies sleep so deeply they don't wake up during periods of apnea, which is very common among babies in the first year of life. So when the adult wakes up, the baby wakes up too and vice versa. This protects against SIDS. CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:18 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Here is a enlightening article on co-sleeping...

http://kidsdirect.net/BD/infants/sids/co-sleeping.htm

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:19 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I don't see how it's unhealthy & confusing to your love life. My boyfriend and I have sex all the time. And I've never heard of anyone claiming it was safer than the crib.

My son (8 months) has both slept in his crib & in the bed w/ me, but he prefers the bed. He sleeps a lot better. And it stemmed from me living alone for 3 weeks & I found it a lot more comforting to have him in the bed w/ me. I nor my boyfriend find it a problem having him in the bed. We've never had any accidents or rolled over our son.

If you take precautions, co-sleeping CAN BE DONE SAFELY!

Would you rather put your baby in an outdated, possibly recalled crib or in the bed w/ you? What if you couldn't afford a crib...if you lived in a studio...lived w/ parents & didn't have a room for your baby...if the cat jumped in the crib...there's many different reasons why ppl choose to co-sleep.
    Anonymous