Is my 2 year old ready for potty training?

Ok so my son turned 2 last Sat. my mom now thinks that because he has found his unit that he is ready. He plasy with it, when I get him out of the shower he runs through the house naked and eventualy pees on the floor. He looks down and kinda squats when this happen. These are the reasons My mother thinks he is ready. I dont think that he is. What do you think? He loves to play in the potty like most 2 year olds. But dosent speak yet. So there is no real way of knowing when the sprinkler is going to go off.

momdallas

Asked by momdallas at 10:21 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• even if he's not talking.. if he doesn't mind sitting on the potty LET HIM he can show you he needs to go.. about the not talking thing call 1-800- 323-grow they are an earlychildhood intervention program they help kis with delays. my daughter is 2 and can repeat most anything, but clearly has no clue what she's saying (most the time) like a parrot. the therepist comes to may house.
    at two he should be putting 2-3 word sentences together
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:29 PM on May. 4, 2009

• about the potty training , I was always told summer after their 2nd birthday . That way they was old enough to understand. I had good luck with my boys but I did alot of talking to them before hand .. so you can start telling them how big they will be once they start using the potty, things like that. and then by summer he will be ready ( even if he's not talking much yet , he can understand it if you keep repeating it over and over )
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 10:37 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I started training my DSS at 18 months old. by the time he was 27 months old or so he was fully trained. When i have my own i will start the simple stuff, the introduction at 1yrs old. Honestly, it's never too soon to INTRODUCE the concept. you'll never know if he's ready if you dont try it.
    and i agree with maiahlynn as far as seeking help for your child's delay in speech. try using some ASL.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:39 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Thank you all. I do praise him and we talk all of the time. he is in a school setting during the day. as far as having the attention to sit on the potty, ha. he has a potty in our bathroom and has decided that it was for bath toys. but it seems like you all agree. so i guess the potty is for peepee not toys!
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 10:43 PM on May. 4, 2009

• as far as his speach. his dr said he was fine as well as his teachers. they keep telling me not to rush. and enjoy the quiet time. ha ha. that is fine until he screams instead of saying milk.
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 10:45 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I would try at least sitting him on the potty. If he seems like he knows he is going to pee before he is peeing, then he is ready. Sit him there once an hour for 5 minutes. Make an announcement about how it is time to try to go potty, lets go sit. Get him special potty books that he can only read in the potty. If he really seems to resist, then hold off for a while. There is no right or wrong age, just when he is ready to start.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:52 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My DD plays with her babybjorn potty, but loves to sit on the big potty with one of those toddler cushiony ring things on top lol I help keep her sitting there for a little while by giving her stickers (or a piece of toilet paper. She loves toilet paper lol)

Ive always been told that boys typically train around 3, and little girls around 2. Its not too early to introduce the potty though.

As far as him not speaking, as long as your pedi and his teachers aren't worried, then don't be worried! Trust your instinct. A way to teach him to let you know when he has to use the bathroom is to teach him sign language for it. HTH!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:01 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY SON HE WOULD DO THE SAME THING BUT I HAD ASKED MY DOCTOR AND HE TOLD ME THAT WHEN HE IS READY HE WILL GO ON THE POTTY WELL ONE DAY HE WAS IN THE TUB AND HE GETS OUT AND HE RUNS TO GET A DIAPER AND I ASKED HIM SON WHAT ARE U DOING HE SAID I GOT TO GO POO I SAID NOO WAIT LETS TRY THIS I SAT HIM ON THE TOILET AND I TOLD HIM TO LOOK DOWN AND HE CAN WATCH IT GO IN THE TOILET AND FOR PEEING I PUT IN A PEICE OF TOLIET PAPER OR CHERRIOS AND TOLD HIM TO AIM HIS PEE AT THEM TO SEE IF HE CAN SINK THEN SHIP AND EVER SINCE HE BEEN DOIN GOOD
    tabby23andkids

Answer by tabby23andkids at 11:18 PM on May. 5, 2009