its that normal? for a 3 year old to still be nursing on mommies tit?

my friends son is almost and he still wants breast milk.. yesterday we were at a sunday dinner and he just got on his mothers lap and opened her blouse and wanted a boob and started to try to suck her tit.. She took him in a back room and breast feed him. now is that normal? wat age should he havs stoped breast feeding or shouls she have started him on sippy cups and stop breast feadin? wat age is it normal to breast feedin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• whatever age the parents feel is what is normal. its not your child, not your kid, not your business!

leave it alone it has NOTHING to do with you.
    Anonymous

• It's a personal choice. And it's not a tit....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:38 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I feel it is up to the mother. ( I breastfeed mine till they was a year old ) But have known mothers who have at age three.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 10:43 PM on May. 4, 2009

• i agree. personal choice, not your business. this country is so weird about breastfeeding. some say 3 weeks is long enough, some say a year, some say at age 3 they can still benefit from the breastmilk. My son self-weaned a few days after his first birthday. if he wasnt ready yet I'd still nurse him!
    Anonymous

• i agree with everyone else, its a personal choice. if they are both okay with it its absolutely fine.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:46 PM on May. 4, 2009

• i THINK SAMUEL WAS WEANED AT 3 IN THE BIBLE?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:47 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You sound pretty jealous there. Think you're missing something?

Breastmilk is still nutritious at 3, and in some countries, children are nursed until 7 to prevent some diseases. Biblically, children were frequently nursed past three. My own eldest daughter stopped nursing at 32 months, and although I limited her to a certain time of day and place (naptime, in her bed) by the end, it did not bother me and I would only have been embarrassed if YOU made a scene about it. And frankly, I doubt anyone invited you to comment OR criticize this.

Grow up. A lot.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 10:54 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Ok I think its weird I'm sorry but your child will remember sucking on your breasts when he's a teenager and thats no memory a child should live into adulthood with. This is not a third world country and if you haven't noticed we are no longer in biblical times it is 2009. If you want your child to have breast milk at 3 fine put it in a cup.
    Anonymous

• It's fine, and healthy. Lots of countries breastfeed a lot longer than we do here in the US way past three. By the way whey "tit" ? Makes you sound a little immature.

Anonymous

• I personally wouldn't do it that long lol. My first pregnancy I only breast fed for two months and then quit. I plan to breast feed for about 6 months and pump for the rest of the year depending on if I want to quit sooner or not. But no more than a year. My grandma breast fed my uncle for four years. And my boyfriend was also breast fed for about four years. His mom told me she decided to stop when he pulled her shirt up in front of everyone and she was embarassed. Plus she just got pregnant with her last child and knew it was time to quit cause he was way too old. LOL. But there's nothing wrong with it. I dont think anywayz. But like I said personally I wouldn't do it that long.
    bisbeesmiley

Answer by bisbeesmiley at 11:49 PM on May. 4, 2009