How should I handle this?

A couple of months ago we moved to a new town where we didn't know anyone (and still don't know that many people but anyway). It didn't take long before my son had a new best friend and I was excited too b/c I have a lot in common with his mom. But now we have a problem. When she brings her son over to play she always stays and we just hang out. But every time she goes to the bathroom she comes out with something of mine and asks if she can have it. It's never anything big or expensive, like a bottle of lotion or a scrunchy and one time a pair of earrings. At first it was something that was out in the open, like the lotion was sitting on the counter next to the sink. I keep all of my jewelry in a jewelry box on top of my dresser and all of my hair stuff in a drawer next to the sink, so to even find any of that stuff she has to be looking thru my things. Con't

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Con't
    I always tell her she can have it b/c like I said it's never anything expensive but still it’s creepy. I don’t want my son to loose his new friend but I don’t know how to handle this. Any suggestions?
    Anonymous

• Boot her out before she has to pee? IDK! I would be hiding my things elsewhere...esp anything with value!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:48 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My sister-in-law does that. I just say no or ignore her and eventually she stopped asking. If you let her have it she'll just keep asking? I could never figure out if it's something compulsive or that people like that think the world just owes them!
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 10:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• woah yeah thats fishy! if she's digging through your things...is anything missing? this is your house, you shouldnt have to hide things if she is there. why dont you just tell her "oh I'm sorry, those earrings were a xmas gift from my mother" or "I got that lotion for $3 at walgreens! Next time I go there I'll remember to grab one for you"
    Anonymous

• Make a joke or something out of it next time she comes out with something that was put away. When she asks you, say "oh! where'd you find that!? I've been looking for it.." and see if she openly admits she went through your stuff. If she does, say something like "I guess I'm gonna have to start putting a lock on my things!" Be honest, just be nice.
    Anonymous

• ya creepy!!! i would maybe tell her what the first anon said. and you could also suggest she borrow the earrings/scrunchie but that you really like it so you can't give it to her. but will try to remember where she got it so she can get one for herself
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:59 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't give her anything!! First it's a pair of earrings, then a scrunchy, then some perfume and on and on....What next?? I can't believe she has the "balz" to ask for things. Wow!

When she asks to have something just kindly tell her you can't give it away, because you use it all the time or it was a gift from a friend. Also, maybe suggest to your child to branch out and make some more friends-he can keep that friend, but it would be nice for you to meet some normal people in your new town. And I know the other Anon was joking when she said put a lock on your stuff, but it's not bad advice...
    Anonymous

• What about playdates at HER house? Then maybe see if she really NEEDS it or if she has a problem. If she doesn't need it start doing it to her!
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 11:21 PM on May. 4, 2009

• How about you just tell her no. "No you can't have my stuff!"
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 11:40 PM on May. 4, 2009

• keep that crazy bit*h out!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:26 AM on May. 5, 2009