I stopped bf~ing (well pumping) 3 days ago .. how long are my boobs going to be sore?? and hard like rocks?? its driving me nuts!!!!

beccan

Asked by beccan at 11:10 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Health

• A long time, sweetie :p Breasts weren't made to stop all of a sudden. You might consider pumping once in a while to relieve your engorgement and slowly decreasing the frequency, or maybe just continuing for a while longer until you are able to slowly back off the pumping (especially if your baby is under a year). You risk a plugged duct and a breast infection by stoping suddenly like that.

Good luck.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:16 PM on May. 4, 2009

• UGH "( this is so ANNOYING!!! CV is 1 ...I slowly stopped (I was down to 2 pumps a day then 1 pump for 3 days)
    "( I so can not stand getting mastitis again (had that when he was a couple months old)

Thanks for answering
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 11:21 PM on May. 4, 2009

• So you were pumping once every three days and got engorged when you stopped? How long did it take before you were engorged? Maybe just let it go a day after you get engorged and then pump enough to relieve it but not empty the breast? It sounds like you're close to weaning entirely. I know how annoying engorgement is :( I'm sorry, but it WILL get better! Just keep trying.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:31 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Take a hot bath with your chest in the water..or use the hot rags. It will be soothing at least. Call your Dr. He can give you something I think to dry up your milk.
    3 days is not long enough before you stop. When I would wean, it took months.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:34 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I was pumping 1 a day for 3 days then stopped (like the doc said to do).. My boobs were engorged really bad yesterday "_~ The kids keep hitting them so I 'm going NUTS here!!! So I did it wrong??? "(
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 11:37 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Try standing in a hot shower and squeezing the milk out while in there. My sister did this until her breasts stopped producing. It really helped her. I hope this helps.
    Cassandra258

Answer by Cassandra258 at 2:00 AM on May. 5, 2009

• So how are you feeling? I stopped nursing Ryleigh the day after her first birthday on the 1st of May :( I miss it. I was horribly engorged for about 3 days and it's starting to get better now. I am taking sudafed to dry me up quicker and also taking sage. And cabbage leaves are great. Just take them out of the fridge and wear them in your bra for 4-6 hours. They help with the pain and are supposed to help dry you up faster. Good luck momma!!!!
    Irelandsmom04

Answer by Irelandsmom04 at 7:40 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm still annoyed and in a lil pain... my breast feel like I stuffed rocks in there!!! I stopped on the 1st also. "( I can not take sudafed... but I am doing the cabbage leaves. Its weird that my breasts are only hard on the top and the bottom is softer!
    Sorry you miss it sweetie~ I kind of do too
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 8:23 AM on May. 5, 2009