How do we deal with our 10 yr. daughter who acts like she is 16? she is in to kissing boys and saying she loves them. Is 10yrs. old to young for boys still???

princess_sjb

Asked by princess_sjb at 11:15 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would sit your daughter down and talk with her about sex and everything else she needs to know. Show her pictures, tell her about where babies come from etc. Make sure your daughter is informed. Even though we may think she is too young in her mind you are trying to keep her from something. You don't want to throw her into the thralls of trying to rebel against you. Be open minded, talk to her about her boys and why she thinks they are so great. The more informed she is the better she will be and the better you will feel. The more open you are with her the more likely she is to come to you about important things in her life. Just telling her NO she can't see or kiss or whatever with boys will just make her mad at you. And she will just ignore you.
    Cassandra258

Answer by Cassandra258 at 1:53 AM on May. 5, 2009

• In my opinion, yes. Way to young. However, I don't have a 10 year old, nor a daughter. I can say that I'd be very displeased with my boys if I one day discover they're kissing 10 year old girls.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 11:21 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It's definately too young to be telling boys she loves them. I mean... if she were a little younger (like, 4 or 5) it would be cute, but being 10 it's a little overboard.

Maybe just tell her about what that means and why she shouldn't do it yet. Tell her to only say the words "I love you" to boys if she really REALLY means them, and to only kiss them when she loves them.

Have you had a sex talk with her yet? If not, it's definately time.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:21 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I always loved boys since I was in diapers I think. Kissing boys though? Real kisses on the lips? That seems a bit far for ten, but I guess it just depends. I think her saying she "loves" boys is ok. It is just puppy love and one day she will realize that. Right now it seems almost "cute," but I don't know about the kissing boys part.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 11:22 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You are her mother. If you don't want your daughter to end up pregnant in a few years, I suggest you put your foot down. Make the rules and enforce them. You are her "Birth Control" so to speak. You have to watch her and make sure you know where she is and what she is doing 24/7. Hon, it's not hard, I did it twice.. two daughters. Trust me, it's work, but you are the adult.
    Anonymous

• 10-11 is the new 15-16. My niece is 11 and does the same thing. The fact of the matter I think is that this is the age were they are figuring out things like kissing and touching and love and so on. Its your job to educate her to your best ability and fine tune the rules. She can have friends that are boys but its kind of young for kissing and other stuff. If anything I would have chaperoned dates with you, her and her "boyfriend". go to mini golf with them. Teach her right now about valuing FRIENDSHIP and then having a great friendship comes love!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:33 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I feel 10 is way too young to be so into boys!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:24 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Anonymous I feel your kids probably don't listen to you and do what they want behind your back. It's one thing to put your foot down and another to let your kids know you are there for them no matter what. I only say this because I had parents that just 'put their foot down' and guess what, I went against thier wishes. However, to assume her daughter will be pregnant in a few years is a real negative. And very nasty to even suggest. This mother is seeking help, not judgement or someone who just assumes all girls that are 'in love' with boys will be pregnant soon.
    Cassandra258

Answer by Cassandra258 at 1:56 AM on May. 5, 2009

• In my opinion 10 yrs. old is too young for boys. I have a 9 year old who is almost 10 and boys are sooo NOT on her mind right now. Obviously your daughter is learning this behavior from somewhere. What kind of television shows is she watching? What about her friends? The most important thing that you can do is to talk to her about it and try to find out why she is feeling this way.

CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 3:06 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Absolutely to young!

My daughters are not allowed to date until they are 16. I do not care if by the time they are that age the social norm is 5...they may like boys and even have little boyfriends from school, but they will NOT be allowed to be anywhere alone with these boyfriends and their time together will be limited.

We will also have many conversations about pregnancy, std's, self respect and independence(along with a little feminism thrown in there....they will be allowed to feel their own feelings, but that doesn't mean there won't be rules to follow to ensure long term health and happiness for them. (And sleep filled nights for their daddy and me)
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:19 AM on May. 5, 2009