my baby girl always wants to be held, how do I fix this?

My baby girl Emma is one month old, the only way to put her to sleep is to hold her tightly and rock her. The only problem is once I put her down she wakes up and gets fussy. Any way I can get her to not be so attached? I'm exhausted and need sleep.

booboogirlEMMA

Asked by booboogirlEMMA at 11:20 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes you have to let her cry, my daughter used to be like that, now i give her hugs and kisses and put her in her crib and get her mobile going and she watches it and falls asleep, yes it took a while to get her to do it, but she does. just let her cry. she will be ok, get a swaddle, and wrap her up real tite, but make sure she cant pull it over her face. as long as shes tite in there she should sleep, she just likes the security.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 11:24 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My daughter slept ON me for the first 6 weeks of her life. She was like yours. It's normal. You just sleep with her, that's how you fix it :p She's designed to want to be with you all the time, it's normal and healthy. And if you sleep with her that means you get more sleep. Win-win :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:24 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Oh gosh ... let her cry ... really?! The baby is only a month old. Even every CIO expert would tell you NOT to let a baby cry at one month of age (many many problems are created by letting a child cry at such a young age). I would suggest reading Harvey Karp's Happiest baby on the block to explain why baby NEEDS your touch and constant attention at one month. Hang in there mom! It may seem hard at the beginning but you will get use to the actual attention and care a newborn NEEDS. Life is never the same as before and the sleep and me time is gone for awhile. You will get it back but not for a long while just hang in there. You can do it!!

Anonymous

• She still needs to feel tightly swaddled (like she did in your womb). Try wrapping her "burrito style" in a baby blanket. The hospital should have shown you how to do this. If not, check out this website for instructions....http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/ncare/0,,lz_7jfg8805,00.html
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:33 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I would try to swaddle her well and put her in her crib and maybe pat her lightly on the belly. That way she feels the security of being tightly wrapped up and seeing your face, and you dont have to worry about disturbing her by putting her down. One of my friends didn't break her daughter of that, and she is now 3 and still needs to be rocked to go to sleep and will often wake up when put in bed. And the cosleeper beds that attach to your bed are great, because she will be able to see you right next to her, but shes still in her own little space.
    imeddiesmommy

Answer by imeddiesmommy at 11:34 PM on May. 4, 2009

• try this for swaddling. it is awesome cause it does not come loose http://www.happybabystore.com/Kiddopotamus-SwaddleMe-Microfleece-Infant-Wrap-Yellow-p4107.html

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:42 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Holy Sh*t...let a one month old cry?? Now Ive heard it all....bless her heart she wants her mommy. Buy a sling or swaddle her...so what if she wants to be held all the time. The time goes by WAAAAy to quickly to worry about attachment...IS there something wrong with her being attached to her MOMMY?? I don't get why this is such an inconvenience...If you need your sleep take her to bed with you and sleep...I have co-slept with my 8 mo old DD since day one and have yet to feel tired...probably less tired with co-sleeping b/c you never have to fully wake up to feed her and even during her naps, she sleeps on either me or DH...I get done what I need to when we wake up then it's about time for her nap and we both rest together..then when she wakes up we go shopping or go to the park....I really wouldn't worry about her being too attched...she NEEDS you right now.Cuddle her and hold her...You will never regret it =) and congrats
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My suggestion? Enjoy this while you can. Swaddle her and put her in a sling, try sleeping in a recliner with her in the sling tightly swaddled. She will outgrow this. Since she is only one month she misses the womb. Try to make her feel she's still in it. Maybe swaddle her and try putting her in a vibrating chair. If this doesn't help I would try your best to carry her in a sling.
    Cassandra258

Answer by Cassandra258 at 1:47 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Hold her! Buy a moby wrap or a sling. Then hold her some more. My ten month old son never lets me hold him anymore... and I miss it now.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:05 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Keep on holding her! She's one month old, that's what she needs, and deserves. She is used to being warm, tight and cozy in your womb. If you are tired...well of course you are...go to bed with her, nap with her. Get a sling like everyone else said, they work great. As for 'letting her cry', IMO that is horrible. Poor baby would be terrified. Enjoy the cuddling time now because it won't last forever.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 4:35 AM on May. 5, 2009