Does my EBF baby need a vitamin D supplement?

Asked by Mommyx308 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! You can get it at any drugstore or grocery store with a pharmacy.

Answer by cdschmidt at 3:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• No. Just make sure your baby gets direct sunlight for 30 minutes a week. So run a couple of errands and you're good.

Answer by audiesmomma at 3:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Your baby will get all the Vit D he/she needs from about 30-60 mins of sunshine a day :)

Answer by faeriemamma at 3:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• If your baby does not get sunlight or has a vitamin D deficiency (determined by a blood test) then yes. Otherwise, no.

Answer by jaycee1124 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Not unless specified by a doctor. My daughter was EBF for 5 mos and has BF'd until 17 mos, and never needed vitamin d. She got enough from me (still taking my prenatal vitamins) and she gets plenty of sunshine.

Answer by Sophiasmom119 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• The reason that a vitamin D supplement is suggested is because many children seem to not be getting enough direct sunlight these days. Taking your baby outside (even on a cloudy day!) for 10-15 minutes will give them all of the vitamin D that they need in their body. If your child isn't getting out for that long, then a vitamin D supp may be necessary.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 3:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• sorry I dont have an answer to this one.. but for the ladies who have been answering, do they have to be IN the sun, or is just going outside fine? I dont want my baby to get sunburned because she is too young for sunscreen, but I also dont like giving her a vitamin supplement, and ive been wondering about it as well.

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 4:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I nursed all three of my boys and they were never required to take a vitamin.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 4:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• nope. The sun is all you need. Sit out side ( in the shade is ok) for 15 to 20 minutes and you are good to go! =)

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• No! As long as she gets pletny of sun and you are feeding her some vitamin D rich foods. Rememebr Vitamin D is stored, it's not something you need on a daily basis.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2008