Why do people take breastfeeding so personal?

I have met MANY people who were formula fed and are VERY good, intelligent people. It is not as if there is something terribly wrong with formula feeding. Why does it bother people so when people choose not to breastfeed? Or even to wean their baby a little early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding is natural, causes less issues with baby's tummy. It is a choice, and I believe that you choose what is best for your baby. Some women can't even breastfeed. I think that people should mind their own business and keep opinions about issues like this one to themselves. Your choice, your baby won't be any worse off it you strictly formula feed. My son refused the breast after 4 months of breastfeeding. He was then strictly formula fed until he could switch to baby food. He's a very bright little boy. Breastfeeding has it's benifits, babies that are breastfed are LESS likely to get sick a lot. Helps build up immunities to sicknesses. But so does good hygene.
    Cassandra258

Answer by Cassandra258 at 1:34 AM on May. 5, 2009

• The same reason you're taking formula so personal.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:34 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Lactivists. BFing nazis...Im a BFer but far be it from me to push it on someone else..it actually pisses me off......
    Anonymous

• i just dont really understand why you wouldnt breastfeed. i dont knock anyone down for it at ALL. but i dont see why someone wouldnt breastfeed if they could. its free! and helps baby so much and you also lose weight faster from it!
    i dont see ANY negative sides of it...
    Anonymous

• i formula fed my baby. well she is still formula feeding. as a baby i and my siblings were all breasfed, and i think that is what made me want to formula feed. i remember seeing my 2 yr old bro BF when i was 6..... and i personally thought it was kinda strange. anyways, just my opinion.... props to those that do, props to those that don't. i believe whatever works best for you and baby is what is BEST.
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 11:37 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I am the OP and I breastfeed too, but reading some of the replies to the breastfeeding questions, makes me wonder why it bothers others when some people choose not to breastfeed. What is the big deal? Save your energy for abusive mothers or child molesters.
    Anonymous

• Because I don't understand why a mom wouldn't do something that is so SO good for her baby. Formula feeding increases all kinds of risks.

I don't fault moms who choose to formula feed... I had a tough time with breast feeding, I know how it goes. What I have a problem with is the "formula is just as good" crap. No, formula isn't the devil, but it's far from as good as breast milk, and it's time we be honest enough with ourselves to admit that.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:38 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Our son was formula-fed and is now exhibiting signs of being advanced for his age. (He's two)
    Maybe they are trying to "dumb down" the next generation?

Just kidding.

Honestly, I think it's another cause some breast-feeders think everyone should follow. The loud minority of breast-feeders, that is.
    Anonymous

• Don't get me wrong, I think that it is a beautiful thing, it is just that it is not the "BE's all that ends all" type of thing. There are things that are way more important. I think that if a mother loves her child and is doing what she believes is best for him, then that is what matter's most! ---OP
    Anonymous

• What one believes is best and what is actually proven scientifically to be best are two totally different things.

There are many reasons why a person cares whether a child is ff or bf. First and foremost that decision does directly impact every person. The statistics state that a ff child is more apt to certain risks (anecdotal evidence is not applicable here sorry!) which in returns ups the doctor visits, child's sick days, parent's needing time off, increases the amount of medicines that need to be dispensed, etc. etc. This is just a very small part of the why we should ALL care whether a child is ff or bf part of the bf is breast speech.

Anonymous