My sister's fiance asked my 10yearold to spend the night. My sis wouldn't be there until after 11pm. Is it creepy?

They have a lot of the same interests, but I find it a little creepy. He said he wants to do it before his kids come for the summer in a couple of weeks. My dh said he would never ask a kid to spend the night ever!

Is it weird or am I overreacting?

BTW...my 10yearold is a boy.

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 11:38 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• The more I think about my husband asking a 10 year old to spend the night when I wouldn't even be there the more it gives me the creeps. I don't think you should do it even if she is home now that he has asked you that.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:48 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Who is this guy? Michael Jackson?
    Anonymous

• Yes if it gives you the ickies it it's probably weird. Protect your kid.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Maybe AFTER my sis got home but hmm I wonder about it even then...
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 11:42 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have to agree with your dh...I know my dh and my brother (27), I have a 14 year old daughter and neither of them would ask her to spend the night....a guy just doesn't do that. Unless he has made plans to see a movie or do something until his wife gets home, there is no reason to have your daughter there until your sister gets home, but I know it is a little late. You need to use your best judgement on this one.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:43 PM on May. 4, 2009

• umm i'd suggest a diff night when your sis will be there. that would creep me out i'd never ask a kid that wasn't related to me to spend the night. especially if my SO wasn't going to be there til late at night
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:43 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Trust your instincts. It does sound weird, I don't know of any man who would ask a 10 year old to spend the night. Protect your son, please.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 11:45 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It *does* sound a tad weird but you know this guy better than any of us do. I personally would be hesitant to let my child stay over at someone I didn't really "know" know just yet---even if he was engaged to my sister.

If you're having doubts about your son being alone with him, it's best to be safe than sorry. Tell him that particular night won't be good for you and arrange it on a night that your sister will be there all night to supervise. I'm sure you can think of some reason why it won't be good---There's ALWAYS something, lol.

He could just be trying to bond with his soon to be nephew-in-law....In which case he shouldn't have an issue with choosing another date (even if it has to be after his children visit.)
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:45 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I said he couldn't go...without hesitation. I felt weird about it. I was asking because I thought I maybe overreacted.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:46 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I really don't see a problem with it, but it may just be because my brothers were really close with my aunt's boyfriend. Maybe you should talk to your sister about it. Maybe she suggested it?
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 11:47 PM on May. 4, 2009