Uncaring husband?

How would you handle it if your husband or SO was always telling you that you are a "pregnachondriac" a pregnant hypochondriac and really detested having to take you to the doctors or L&D every time you thought something might be wrong with the baby. I told him, jokingly, that I was going to stop telling him what was going on and just start taking myself & call him when his daughter is born. He said that was fine. This is my 1st child and his 2nd. He has been through most of this but obv. I haven't. So tell me what would you do if you were me; how do you handle a husband/SO who just doesn't seem to care?

mothergibson

Asked by mothergibson at 11:50 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• My husband did that. He was usually right. I thought my water broke at 24 weeks and he said "No it didn't. you're overreacting" He was right. I thought I was dying from heart palpitations. He said "No you're not, it's probably normal." He was right. On and on the list goes.

If you're having complications then he's being an ass. If you're not, then he's just tired of hearing about how the world is ending :p Try to calm yourself down a little bit. i know it's scary, and intimidating, but let him soothe you and don't freak out so much :) Life's too good :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'd punch him in the face. Well, not really. But I'd want to. he has NO IDEA what it's like to be pregnant! How inconsiderate!!
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 11:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think it depends. I have had friends who have acted like they were the only women who have ever gotten sick and pregnant. It is really annoying. Does he really need to go with you to your appointments? My husband only went with me to the ultrasound appointment and then when our daughter was born. The rest of the appointments are pretty routine. Do you complain all of the time? Do you make excuses that you cannot do things just because you are pregnant?
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 11:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Its totally normal to worry a lot when it's your first. You really are probably just fine, just worried and that is okay. He may have a point but just isn't saying it nicely. Take it easy. You are just fine. Just forgive him and stop worrying so much.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 11:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Well, I guess it would depend on a few things. How often are we talking? Do you run to the dr every time you have a hiccup or heart burn? Are you making him take you every week? If its something that is excessive then yeah, I can see where he's coming from. Also, since this is his second child, he's been down this road before, so its not as scary for him. It doesn't seem to me that he doesn't care, but just isn't panicking and frantic over every little thing.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• To answer a few questions I don't make him take me to my doctors appointments every week. I have called the doctors 3 times in the course of my pregnancy; I am 38 weeks along and every time I've called its been because something is defiantly not right; once I was bleeding; once I was having severe contractions at 26 weeks and then tonight because she had not moved since midnight last night. I know that some things are to be expected but if its something that just doesn't seem normal then I call. His biggest issue is that we live about an hour from my doctor and the hospital; longer if there is traffic and he doesn't like having to deal with driving that long or that far to be told that everything is fine.
    mothergibson

Answer by mothergibson at 12:02 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I would do just what you threatened to do! What an ass!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:12 AM on May. 5, 2009

• IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT THE ISSUE IS BUT IF YOU FEEL LIKE THERE IS SOMETHING MAJOR GOING ON THEN YES I WOULD GET MEDICAL ADVISE...A MOMMA KNOW'S HER OWN BODY..NOW IF YOU JUST DEALING WITH PAINS THAT GO AWAY THEN THAT'S JUST YOUR BODY CHANGING..
    TAMMSTWINS

Answer by TAMMSTWINS at 1:09 AM on May. 5, 2009