Has anyone else had this problem with their child? HELP!!!

My 8 yo daughter is maturbating...alot....in school. I've been having to deal with it now since she was in Kindergarten, she's in 2nd grade now. I've talked to her about it until I'm blue in the face. She sees a therapist and the therapist has talked to her. She's not being abused in anyway, I've asked her as has the therapist. She's very behind in school she will most likely repeat 2nd grade. Any advice whould be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on May. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Obviosly, you're trying your best. If all the talking isn't working, maybe you and the teacher need to work on replacing the behavior. Find one of those koosh balls, or a stress ball, or something elsel ike playdoh to keep her hands occupied. Maybe if the teacher can hand it to her each time she catches her, and you do it at home too, you can replace the behavior? We have a few students who are doing that and we're still looking for solutions.
    good luck to you!
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 4:26 PM on May. 6, 2009

• She needs to be assessed by a child psychologist.

I went to high school with a guy who rubbed his genitals in class.  He was developmentally behind everyone else (a lot older).  We all understood that was just him. 

Good luck!

Anonymous

• Wow...that is a toughy. I masturbated as a kid too, but not at school.

What about taking away privileges of she continues. Her teacher could send a note everyday if she is doing it or not. If she keeps doing it take away the tv, video games, etc.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:57 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Wow.

The only thing I can think of (if she isn't developmentally delayed) is for a classmate to catch her and laugh or something... which would embarass her and I'd think that would stop her... the teacher obviously notices it, if she can't stop, have the teacher call her out on it. That is something she seriously needs to quit because you can be put in jail for it as an adult... she needs to know one hundred percent that masturbating in public is a nono but if she's in her room it's fine... which I'm sure youve told her already...

I'm dumbfounded, can you tell? :P Masturbating is fully normal but at school... wow.
    She'll have to get embarassed... I don't think punishment is the right thing to do nor do I think it'll work since you've been trying it...
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:14 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i think having her evaluated would be a good idea. does the therapist have any idea why she is doing it in public? also, have you had her evalutated for being behind. maybe she has a learning disability. my SO had to have his tests read to him even when he took his test to get his lisense because he has comprehension problems.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:10 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I am guessing it makes her feel good and thus comfortable. She is probly unconfortable in school and does it to feel better.
    Goodluck I dont know what you can do to help her.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:12 PM on May. 5, 2009