how do i teach my seven year old the concept of time eg which takes longer brushing your teeth or drinking a glass of water. Is that a bad example help

I need him to understand length of time and passing of time and I also want him to understand the difference between 6 am and 6 pm for eg.

MissGirl40

Asked by MissGirl40 at 11:55 PM on May. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• get a digital clock, let him see the numbers on it at the begining of a movie and the end and so forth. when he is playing a game or doing a chore set a timer for 5 mins, then 10 etc..so that he can see which is longer. same when you are making dinner, let him look at the clock and tell him to keep an eye on it for you and let you know when 5 mins pass them 10 and go from there with the length. as for the a.m. and p.m. i'd say just explain that a.m. is morning and p.m. is afternoon/night time, that should be fairly easy for him to grasp at that age.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:48 AM on May. 5, 2009

• For brushing teeth, our dentist suggested singing the ABC song twice (I sometime catch my 13 year old still doing it!).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• well i when my niece was young and i would aby sit her she woudl ask how long till mama came home and if it was in a reasonable abount of time i would tell her. the way i would say it is mama will be home in 2 dora episodes (one hour) or one long movie (about 90 mins to 2 hours) and eventully she got the concept i would work the 2 hours thign in there but she mainly understood it by the tv shows wich was fine by me it gave her an estamite of time that she could understand
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:01 AM on May. 5, 2009

• timers work great for us and a schedual with the times wrote on it and a clock with a alarm.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:10 PM on May. 5, 2009