Would you allow your 10 year old son to "go out" with girls?

My son has been "going out" with a girl for about 4 months now. I am not so sure I should be allowing it. I kind of think that it is a good way to talk to him about how he should treat girls, but 4 months? That is a long time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Can't believe some people advise you to put a stop to it, like you are going to ask the lunch room monitor to make them sit at opposite tables, and ask the bus driver to make sure they sit in different seats!?! I had boyfriends starting in primary school and I know kids that weren't 'in love' young and got into trouble a few years later. Its a good chance to ask him what it means, how he feels, and yes, make sure his view & behaviour are appropriate for a 10 year old. But I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, its not that unusual.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 1:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I assume you mean he has been on outings with a group and she is there, too.

If it's any time alone with each other, I think he's WAY too young for this and it needs to be stopped.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:02 AM on May. 5, 2009

• If they're "going out" by sitting together at lunch... whatever. If they're dating in the traditional sense, then that should probably come to a screeching halt.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• No, I mean, he just asked her out (or had a friend ask for him) and they just tell people they are "going out". I don't believe they really talk to one another, or spend time with each other. There is definitely no seeing each other out of school, holding hands, or any sort of physical contact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• This is still sounding too mature for his age.

I know some kids are having sex at school. You can't be sure nothing is going on when he is there.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:10 AM on May. 5, 2009

• MY SON IS 10 AND IS A VERY POPULAR BOY WHEN IT COMES TO GIRL'S ..THINK YOU NEED TO RELAX,JUST LIKE I HAD TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT MY SON IS GETTING OLDER TOO..I WOULDN'T THINK NOTHING OF IT..BEEN THROUGH THE LIL GIRL DRAMA FOR 2 YEARS NOW..I HAVE GIRL'S CALLING MY HOUSE ON THE WEEKENDS..LOL..ALREADY!!!! ONCE HE HITS MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HAS GIRLFRIEND I WILL TAKE IT SERIOUSLY THEN BUT RIGHT NOW,I'M NOT CONCERNED..
    TAMMSTWINS

Answer by TAMMSTWINS at 12:47 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I don't think it's anything to worry about. I think every kid has a "girlfriend" at that age and it's like you say, they don't even talk lol.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 1:43 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Are you kidding? The earlier "dating" behavior starts, the more likely kids are to get in a situation that they don't have the maturity to handle. Follow your instincts and put a stop to this.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on May. 5, 2009

• He'll be fine. He's just getting to know her. Just make sure they are supervised and all will be well.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:29 AM on May. 5, 2009

• ha ha. i wouldn't worry about it. my sister use to have "boyfriends" in the third grade. they didn't even sit together at lunch! these silly relationships lasted for her up until like 6th grade. i remember one time she was suppose to be "going out" with a boy who rode our bus and they wouldn't even sit next to one another on the bus! lol. i thought it was hilarious.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:22 AM on May. 5, 2009