placenta previa?

i didnt know this was deadly? on one tree hill they made a big deal about her and the baby maybe not making it and then i find out she has placenta previa... i was on fertility friend and a lot of the ladies in my due date group had it and i thought it just required extreme bed rest and monitoring but i didnt know it was deadly!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, for the show that was definitely overkill.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 1:01 AM on May. 5, 2009

• and by her i mean peyton LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 5, 2009

• placenta previa is where the placenta sits on top of the cervix. a baby cannot be born like that, it is one of the few reasons where a c-section is truly necessary
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:13 AM on May. 5, 2009

• but its deadly? i know it requires a c-section but the doctors were telling her to get an abortion and luke wanted her to get one and stuff.... i just thought with special care it would be okay
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i guess i need to realize this is just a TV show and not real life ;]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I had it with my first. The only restriction I had put on me was no sex. It eventually corrected itself. My dr did monitor everything and i had a U/S at 32 weeks to check. I was never on bed rest or even told to slow down..just not sex. From what my dr said, most cases correct themselves and for severe cases (meaning with complications) they do bed rest, close monitoring and delivery by c-section.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:18 AM on May. 5, 2009

• oh, very rarely its fatal. certainly nothing i would get an abortion over....
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:18 AM on May. 5, 2009

• It can be fatal if it is not diagnosed. My godson was lost this way. My best friend did not have insurance once she moved out of her mother's home (her mother took her off) so she didn't continue to see a doctor. Had she continued to go, it would have been found and more than likely they would have scheduled a cesarean. It was also her first (term) pregnancy and she had never felt the pains of labor before and did not even know the signs. She was due valentine's day, but on January 30th 2008 in the middle of the night she woke up in terrible pain and was bleeding and passing clots. She thought this was normal for labor and tried to wait it out. Eventually they drove to the hospital when the pain became far too intense. When she got there she was barely conscious and they rushed her in for an emergency cesarean (vertical incision and all). My Godson did not make it. She almost didn't. She did not know the signs.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:56 AM on May. 5, 2009

• yeah they made a HUGE deal about her not keeping the baby and everyone thought she had cancer, but then Luke was telling either brooke or haley, they both look similar to me, that she has placenta previa and i was like .... thats it?

i mean the girl is making films 'just in case' she dies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 5, 2009

• However, if your doctor or midwife finds that the placenta is low, partially or fully covering the cervix in later pregnancy they generally continue to monitor it because it can, in fact, move out of the way on it's own. If it does not, then it is a true reason for a cesarean section. In those cases it is rarely fatal as a PP said. But when it goes undiagnosed and unmonitored as it did with my best friend and my Godson, the consequences can be dire.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:58 AM on May. 5, 2009