Do you tip your childcare provider?

We're going to be sending my DD to childcare for one day a week for $55 a day. Do you tip the childcare provider? If so, how much do you tip them? Should I tip each day she watches her or just once a month or every so often? This is all so new to me so any input is appreciated. I was planning on tipping once a month or so since I feel every time would start to get really expensive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• no!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 5, 2009

• if i were getting a babysitter for evening or something like that i would tip but for just regular child care, no i dont.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:23 AM on May. 5, 2009

• its not neccessary or expected anywhere that i know of, i'm sure she'd appreciate it. however i usually go with a small gift, maybe a mug or lotion something like that. there is usually some type of holiday every month where the kids end up getting a special little party so you could coordinate the gift w/that holiday, mothers day, fathers day, 4th july, memorial day etc....
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:23 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I just wanted to add that the childcare is a licensed at home daycare and that my DD is 4 months old. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks for your replies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on May. 5, 2009

• no never! i run a daycare and i charge $115.00 a week for 40 hours per kid. I think $55.00 a day is a lot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I also run a home daycare and most of my parents do tip me. If it is a one day a week type of thing its greatly appreciated. It shows us that you appreciate us and the more appreciated we feel the more favors we'll be willing to help you out with. Like I have a lady who no matter what even if her child is there an hour still tips at least a couple of dollars and even if I'm really busy and don't want to I never ever turn her down. If I had my child in a home daycare I would for sure. When I use a baby sitter I always tip at least $5! No one on Earth more important than the person taking care of your child! You'd tip the hairdresser for your expensive highlights. Think about that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on May. 7, 2009