Pyloric Stenosis

My friend is in the hospital with her 11 day old son and they think he has pyloric stenosis. We would like to hear from anyone that went through this and how is your child now . . how did the surgery go . . . any response would be greatly appreciated.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 12:44 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He had surgery that day to fix it. He stayed for a week in the nicu and did fine. He still spit up all the time but he started gaining weight and was finally satisfied after eating. He is a perfectly normal 12 year old now...so much so that his mom wants to choke him daily. :)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:55 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My nephew had this, It runs in families. Only boys get it.
    When my sister brought her first baby home from the hospital he spit up everything. she called the doctor and they said some spitting up was normal. At his 10day old appt he hadn't gained any weight and they told her to feed him more. She was feeding him around the clock. So she kept trying to do wht the doctor said but he kept projectile vomiting evrythime she fed him. She kept bringing him to the docs office. Finally she went to yet another doctor (the fifth different doc) and yelled at her that something was wrong with her baby and she had better figure it out. The doctor weighed him and really listened to what my sister was saying. She ordered an ultrasound and they figured out it was Pyloric stenosis.
    His pyloric sphincter was almost completely closed. He lost a total of 1lb4oz before the doctors would listen to her.
    Cont..
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:53 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I had it when I was a baby... and yes it runs tends to run in families, but NOT only boys get it, but boys get it more often than girls and for some reason tends to be first borns. (I had them watch my son very close when he was born, I was very worried!)
    I have also had the chance to work with a few babies that have had the surgery.... and they all did fine. They will most likely start the feedings out VERY slow... just a tiny amount at a time and increase it slowly. The baby will stay in the hospital for several days...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:19 AM on May. 5, 2009

• AmiJanell...I really didn't know girls got it. My sister's doc said that it was only in boys. I guess you learn something new everyday.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:23 AM on May. 5, 2009