To the 3rd generation

Why would God curse families up to the 3rd, 4th generation? does he mean like bad luck, or damned to hell?I was reading Exodus last night, interesting because there's another Exodus based Q lol. 34:7...Yet he does not leave he guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation (NIV)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know. If you find out, please let me know... this is an interesting question.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 1:11 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I have a few thoughts but don't know for sure but, maybe God is talking about the "family chain reaction"?? You know how when a child is reared a certain way they usually grow up and raise their own children that way because that's what they knew, and so down the line of generation it goes. If that family generation is living in sin then He is going to punish them all...Just a thought
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 1:39 AM on May. 5, 2009

• It kind of reminds me of the house of Atreus in Greek mythology... the curse started with Cycephus and Tantalus, brothers who did horrible things and were cursed by Zeus. Every man in the family for generations did horrible things and were punished by the gods, including Agamemmnon and Menalaus (if you've seen the movie Troy, you know who they are) and Agamemmnon's son Orestes. Finally the curse just sort of died out on its own.

I know this doesn't provide any insight on the question, but I thought it was an interesting comparison. I honestly can't think of any reason why any deity would punish the innocent for the sins of someone else in their bloodline.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 2:21 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I've often wondered this myself...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:08 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I think this is a natural consequence.

If a parent thinks xyz sinful behavior is great and lovely, then they'll end up teaching that to their kids, and so on, so that the parents do their children and grandchildren a disservice.

But at the same time God judges us according to the knowledge and understanding we have, so the grandkids who just didn't get taught right, are not going to be judged to the same measure of the grandparents who should know better.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:44 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Honestly, I don't know.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:58 PM on May. 5, 2009

• when sin is not repented of... it gets passed on to the next generation. Its called generational sin.
    The only way to break it is to break the curse of sin.
    God showed grace to the 1st generation but because of their sin it affects like a domino the next generation. Let me ask some of my other friends who know more about it and can explain it better. Im not too good explaining this , but I understand it !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:35 PM on May. 5, 2009