How do you feel about bedtimes?

Do you think they're important, or overrated? If you do think bedtimes are important, what time do you think is a good bedtime?

almostcrazee

Asked by almostcrazee at 1:07 AM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think its important for people to honor someone else's house rules while being guests in their home. i would bring up the subject gently, and point out how unfair it is for your child. maybe encourage her by suggesting you guys do something together once the kids are in bed?
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:16 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Why would a routine for a child be overrated? Very important. And depends on teh age for what a good time is
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on May. 5, 2009

• As a parent I didn't think they were important but as a grandmother I think they are so moms and dads can have "we" time.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:10 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i think bedtimes are important. my toddler would beg to differ.

my kids go to bed between 6:30 and 8 (toddler first, so i can nurse the baby to sleep)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:10 AM on May. 5, 2009

• The reason I'm asking, is because my cousin and her 2 little girls are temporarily living with me. I have a strict routine. My child is in school and is in bed no later than 9. She doesn't make her children go to bed. They are usually allowed to just fall where they end up. This is distracting and unfair to my child. Not to mention, I like my "me time" every night. So, do I make a big deal out of this or just let it go? I don't want to tell her how to parent her children, but I kind of like having my sanity.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 1:14 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I feel my children should have 8 to 10 hours of sleep per every 24 hours. As long as they are present, awake and functioning when we do school, I don't care which 24 hours.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:22 AM on May. 5, 2009

• If they are living in YOUR house, they should deal with YOUR rules. IF they don't like it, it will encourage them to look for their own place faster.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 1:23 AM on May. 5, 2009

• It is your house, it is your rules. Explain that it is important to you to stick with a routine and that you would appreciate it if she started working with you on that. Then if she doesn't get the hint, be more direct. Write out a rule chart and tell everyone that as long as they are in your house, these are their rules. My son is in bed by 8:30, my daughter 8:30-9:00
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:52 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i think bedtimes are very important for younger children. When they start getting old enough to understand the real consequences of staying up too late and still having to wake up early for school then bed times are over rated. for example, if i had a teenager about 16-18 yrs old who was still in school who made the bad choice to stay up all night doing whatever (not drugs or anything and they would be at home). then that is their choice. they suffer the consequense. I will still make them go to school in the morning, i dont care how tired they are. They still have to take responsibility for the grades they get. ec t ect. ...but younger children need to be in bed, (most of the time) by 9pm depending on the child and the lifestyle.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:25 AM on May. 5, 2009

• my daughter gets to bed, usually, no later than 9:30, if she had a late nap for whatever reason she may go to bed later than that. however she is 3 and doesn't go to day care so she wakes up when she wants which is usually between 9 and 10 so that is fine w/me b/c than i get to sleep a bit longer too. next year i plan on starting an earlier bedtime b/c she will be starting preschool that fall and i want her to get to bed by 7:30-8 on school nights
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:34 AM on May. 5, 2009