Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the other parent cancel all my visitation rights?

It's not specified in our parenting time plan judgement that I am not to take my children out of the state of Oregon. The agreement between me and the other parent is that our children are with me every other weekends. If it's not in the parenting agreement specifying that I can't take them out of the state of oregon.... can he cancel all my visitation rights? What do I do?


Asked by lil-mama-vegas at 1:10 AM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 4 (34 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • You can do what you want on your time unless specified otherwise in the agreement. Now if you don't return them when your time is up then you have trouble

    Answer by salexander at 3:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • No, he can't. He is in contempt if he does. Your order states you are to have the children and you are to have the children...period. He cannot stop the visit, the court can, but he can't. Call the city pd that he lives in and tell them that he is not allowing the children to be picked up. Or, go to the house and pick them up and leave. He cannot stop you. If all else fails, file a contempt order

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on May. 5, 2009

  • If you take them out of state thats nothing wrong its your time what you do with the kids on your time is your bussiness not his

    Answer by hush84 at 1:15 AM on May. 5, 2009

  • He can't do anything but it would be common courtesy just to let him know

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 5, 2009

  • If it is not stated in the custody agreement than no he can not take away your right to see your children.. Some custody agreements state that you have to have permission and if this was the case he could call the police on you but since nothing is stated from what i read of your question than no he can't do anything except let you take your kids where you want.

    Answer by tjsmomma1207 at 1:34 AM on May. 5, 2009

  • If you have given us all the facts, then there is nothing he can do except take it back to court and ask for modification of the order. Until he gets that though, you can take your children where you want as long as you have them back when your scheduled visitation time is over. You should let him know where you are taking them, just to be polite. But there is nothing he can do unless he is willing to go back to court.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:54 AM on May. 5, 2009

  • Only a judge can alter a court order, HE can not himself! If it were me, when I picked up the child, I would have a typed letter, signed by you letting him know that you will be going out of state with the child during your visitation/custody time. (keep a copy for your own records). That way you have proof that you informed him (a paper trail is always good). If e doesn't let you take your child for your next visitation/custody time, then you file for contempt of court against him. The police can not enforce a civil matter.

    Answer by blessed5x at 5:51 AM on May. 5, 2009

  • You are most likely going to have to ask a lawyer. Call your state bar association they usually offer free legal advice. He can withhold your children at anytime. It would be up to you to take him to court again. Then a judge can decide and rule on it. You can always call law enforcement if you get desparate, show them the court order, and see if they will enforce it. But leaving the state I am not sure about.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on May. 5, 2009