4 year olds in kindergarden?

so there is this thing on the news right now where certain counties in CA are rolling back the latest date you can be born from December 2nd to September 1st so that you will be 5 by the time you enter kindergarden... i was born december 6th in CA so i JUST missed the deadline, but i feel that if i was born on dec 2nd and graduated a year earlier i would NOT have been emotionally mature enough. i think that if i had a child born between september 1st and december 2nd i would wait the extra year anyway. its not so bad being older than your peers ;]

what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• where i live the cut off date is dec 31st...my bday is january 4th, and they let me start when i was 4..i personally would NEVER put my child in at 4!!! never ever ever ever EVER!! i hated being the youngest in the class..i was fine with all the school work, up until about grade 7..and from there on it went downhill..i dont think it matters how "ready" a child is, you should always wait!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:13 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Really? I'm from California, but haven't heard of it yet. It wouldn't affect us because my youngest will be 5 in June, but my first child was born September 1st and entered kindergarten as a 4 year old. I don't know of any schools that start that late. We begin the year in mid-August.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:44 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm in CA too - School starts towards the end of August.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on May. 5, 2009

• WOW!!!! Im from Utah and Im not sure of the exact date but I know that its in the middle or toward the end of August! My daughter will be going to kindergarten this year and she will be 6 in October! There is NO WAY that I wouldve enrolled her last year!!!! I think that being the youngest in the class would suck... I mean I was the oldest since my birthday is December 7th, I got to be one of the first in my grade to drive a car.... go on dates.... etc! I loved being one of the oldest! I think that being the youngest would make it more difficult... there are always those kids that struggle in school and it seems that the younger ones are the majority of the strugglers!!! Plus 4 years old is too young... let kids be kids for one more year before you throw homework and stuff like that on them!!!! I think that 5 is the perfect age for kindergarten!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My son is going to be 4 when school starts and he is definitely ready. He was very upset that he didn't get to go to Preschool this school year. They have a young 5's program in my school district that you can send your child to if you don't think they will be quite ready for the upcoming school year. It lasts for a couple of months and Kindergarten teachers work on all kinds of things with the children that attend. I wanted to send my son, but it was full already -but I definitely think that he is ready anyway.

CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 2:20 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree. My DD b-day is 11/10. I wish I kept her back a year. She started k at 4. Some of her classmates were turning 6 in January and she just turned 5. It was a huge difference in k, but as she gets older, not so much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i think as she gets older, it would make her grow up too fast to keep up with her peers... thats the way i see it.. like DTD earlier and stuff
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on May. 5, 2009