If my DD see's me breast feeding the new baby and wants to try...do I let her?

I nursed her til she was a year old, and I am pregnant now. She will be 2 1/2 when my second baby is born. So when she see's me nursing, should I let her if she asks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Um no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I would tell her only mommy has milk, and, maybe? let her nurse a baby doll? don't know on that one but i don't have girls
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on May. 5, 2009

• There would be nothing wrong with letting her try to nurse if she ask after seeing the baby. Because it has been a while since she nursed she will more than likely not be able to get anything out anyways..and if she does, she might not like how it taste and then not ask again. It is your personal choice whether to let her try or not. No one can make that choice for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on May. 5, 2009

• wait she wants to try nursing her sister or try eating the breastmilk?? either way, no you should not let her. let her know its only for the baby.
    Anonymous

• Why on earth would you want to start feeding your 2 year old breastmilk again? DO you want to go back to breastfeeding her? I wouldn't let her. I'd tell her it's the baby's food and she's a big girl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on May. 5, 2009

• That's YOUR decision, not other cafemoms decision. It could potentially cause some issues, but it would benefit her health. She might not even know how if she did try, I'm pretty sure once a child stops nursing they lose the sucking reflex and no longer know how to nurse.

Do what feels right to you. If she doesnt ask to nurse though, you could always sneak breastmilk into her food or give it to her in a sippy, it would be very good for her :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:44 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Yeah. There's not a thing in the world wrong with it. It's healthy, gives you all something to do together, prevents jealousy, etc. Do the anons opposing have any LOGICAL reason not to???
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:57 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Jus1jess, no, they don't. Their logic is something like "It's gross" or "It's sexual abuse." :p

There is not a single stage in life that consuming breast milk is not beneficial. That's why cancer patients get it sometimes. It's GOOD for us. If she wants to try I'd let her... what can it hurt? Worst case scenario, you have someone to help you out when you're feeling engorged those first few weeks :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:02 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My daughter was 3 when her baby brother was born... I tried to breast feed and when my daughter saw me doing it, she was really interested in it... I told her that only mommy has milk and that only mommy can breast feed the baby, I also told her exactly why I was feeding the baby this way, she seemed to catch on and understood but I did let her breast feed her baby doll... nothing wrong with that! :) Our 'breastfeeding' was an at home thing only... only mommy could breastfeed when we are away from our home! I also let her help me do other things, like help me pack up the diaper bag or get wipes or things that the baby needed, she seemed to only 'breastfeed' her baby for a short period of time once I started asking her for her help when it came to the baby!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:05 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I would let her try. And everyone is posting anons aren't posting under their names so they don't get bashed. Sad really. They should be proud enough to give out their opinion face to face.
    Kristenn

Answer by Kristenn at 2:13 AM on May. 5, 2009