Any women in the military?

I only ask cause I am thinking about joing national guard so I can go to school to become a nurse. I have always wanted to joing its like a family thing( my grandpa, Dad and uncles and cousin served and are now vets!) But I want to know if anyone else has joined. I want to but my boys are so young and I don't want to leave them. I will be gone for 32 weeks and I will be home everyday after that unless I am called to serve. I wont ever see combat because I am a women and that option is closed to me. I will work 1 weekend a year and wil be home in no time at all, I jsut want to afford all my bills and have nice things for my children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you a single mom?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:29 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Even though you might not see any combat, you could get have to be gone for a year or so. Even though you'd have some great benefits, is this something that you want to think about.

Most people think that going guard means they won't get sent off US soil, but they are wrong. When my DH was guard his unit went to Iraq for 18 months. Think very carefully before you make any decisions.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:11 AM on May. 5, 2009

• A weekend a month, and two weeks a year, when the GI bill required time, is actually more of a commitment than a benefit. I feel it's best for college students without financial obligation. If you are looking for an education, I would strongly suggest filing with FAFSA for education finance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Women are deployed, you might not see action the field but being a nurse you could be at a hospital on a firm base. I would join the Navy instead. Then go into nursing or Corpsman program. You'll be active duty but have a steady paycheck---unlike with the Guard and insurance benefits. Their deployments are also shorter, usually 7 months like the Marines rather than the 18-24 the other branches do. There is a chance you could work at a hospital on base and not be deployed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I have been in the active army for 14 years. Sorry, hun, but you will see combat is you are called to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan. True, you may not be assigned to a "combat" related job, but you will see it none the less. Your military job may not be the same as your civilian job, you may work in finance in the Army, while going to school to be a nurse. If you don't want to leave your children, then definitely don't do it. You will incur a very long service obligation, and if you don't honor your contract, will owe the government money it will pay for your schooling. Think it over long and hard before signing any paperwork. Good luck!
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 10:45 AM on May. 5, 2009