My 3 yr old son tortures my cats and finds it funny; we have done everything from a spank on the behind to time outs nothing works. What else can i do?

timster7583

Asked by timster7583 at 2:36 AM on May. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you tried talking to him?
    Maybe he is torturing the cats becuase he likes getting the reaction. maybe he needs more you and him time (or him and daddy time or whatever).
    Have you explained what respect and cruilty to animals mean? Have you told him that some people get in big trouble when they are mean to animals?
    Have you tried keeping the cats away from him?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:39 AM on May. 5, 2009

• does that cat fight back. if so let him see the consequences of that (withiin reason) and when he cries, sit him down and have a talk to him that the kitty hurt you becaus eyou hurt the kitty. my 3 yr old DS likes to carry our cats around, and they are very good about letting him. they also let the baby (10 mo) yank on them, but if it get s to painful they will lightly put their teeth on them, kind of as a warning, and it usually works. i never let it get to far tho, im always watching. we also tlak a lot about do unto others as you wouldhave done to you...
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:45 AM on May. 5, 2009

• when dd was about 2 she started that w/our dogs, i sat her down and explained that it gives them boo boos and that if she wasn't nice to them they were going to give her a boo boo and they wouldn't get in trouble b/c they are animals and don't know that you aren't supposed to "hit" back. then i showed her the right way to play with them. since then shes only had a few "relapses" in that area and all i have to do is tell her that she is hurting them. he's 3 so he's old enough to understand it hurts them. if that doesn't work, i would put the cats somewhere where he can't be near them and tell him he's not allowed around the cats until he acts nice, or even seclude him for a bit, put him in his room with a gate up and tell him he can't come out until he's nice to them, let him out after about 30 mins (i'm assuming he has toys in his room so he'll be occupied) and give it a shot again, every time he does it back to the room.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:45 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Get rid of the poor kitties.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 2:58 AM on May. 5, 2009

• You know how they say, when your baby starts people just to hurt them, you should bite them back so they know how it feels.
    My 2 year old couzin would rip out chunks of my hair, ( im not lying when I say chunks )
    and one day I decided to show him what it feels like, and I pulled ONE hair out, and he's ceased to do it.
    Taste of their own medicine.. =[
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on May. 5, 2009

• sad, but it works..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on May. 5, 2009

• and if it continues i would possibly look into counseling.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:06 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree. Let the cats fight back within reason. We did that with ds. We have really laid back animals who would let ds do pretty much anything. We told him that it wasn't nice and one day the kitties wouldn't be so nice. We told him if he didn't stop he could get hurt and sure enough he did. It was a tiny little scratch that didn't even bleed but to him it was the end of the world. We showed him what parts the kitties liked him to pet and which they didn't. All it took was the one time. Now my dd who is 7 still didn't understand that the kittens didn't like to be picked up. It took getting scratched up pretty good for her to realize. I could tell her until I was blue in the face but it took her finding out on her own before it clicked.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:42 AM on May. 6, 2009

• This is not normal behavior. I would speak to your son's doctor for advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 11, 2009