Is this much cramping normal?

I'm 6 wks 3 days pregnant with my second child. I've had much worse pregnancy symptoms with this one. Nausea, vomiting, tender breasts, and period like cramps. I had mild period like cramps very early in my first pregnancy but they lasted bout a week. This pregnancy, they've continued and sometimes are on the sides of my abdomen. I've talked to my dr and they did an ultrasound at 5 1/2 weeks. Of course, it was too early to see the baby but the sac was there. The dr seems to think it's ok as long as there is no bleeding (and there hasn't been). But I'm so much more afraid of miscarrying with this baby than I was with the first. It's prolly because it took us 5 months to conceive where as the first baby came after the first month. Did anyone or is anyone experiencing these cramps. I guess I just need reassurance. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am 6 weeks 3 days pregnant too and have the same cramps! Last night I was really scared because they felt just like contractions (I have 2 other kids so i know what they feel like) and I called my midwife oncall and she said as long as I'm not bleeding it's normal. I have never experienced them this bad but I guess as long as the dr.s not worried it will be ok. Hope this helps.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i had bad cramping with my second nowhere near as bad w/my first. when i told my doc about it they did an ultrasound at 7 weeks saw the heartbeat and said everything was ok. she told me to expect all my symptoms to be earlier or worse this time around b/c of what she likes to call the "balloon effect" if you blow up a balloon the first time it takes like 10 mins, let the air out and do it again and it takes half that time b/c the balloon has already gotten bigger once so its used to it, so your body has already done this once and is anticipating things before they happened with the first...did that make any sense?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:52 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm not a doctor, but I think as long as you aren't cramping too badly or bleeding heavily you should be ok. I do remember some mild cramping that lasted the first couple of months.
    jessnpaulie1014

Answer by jessnpaulie1014 at 3:01 AM on May. 5, 2009

• thanks so much for the answers and reassurance!!
    BethanyB930

Answer by BethanyB930 at 3:12 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm not a dr. but you'll prolly be fine. I had cramping so bad with my first child that it would literally bring me to my knees. 9 mos. later I had a healthy and huge baby boy.
    3tobe03040709

Answer by 3tobe03040709 at 9:28 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i would just take it easy i am 6 weeks prego too and i just had to go to the ER cuz i was bleeding and am still pregnant but i had a threatened misscariiage, something to do with the placenta seperated a little, but i am on bed rest now so just be carefull, also my second one, haha
    bradynsmom222

Answer by bradynsmom222 at 1:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I had super bad cramping with my first. It was worse than any period cramps I've ever had.

If the cramping lasts more than a few days OR is accompanied with bleeding then call your doctor.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:35 PM on May. 5, 2009