I need help quitting smoking!!

I'm 6 weeks 3 days pregnant and have been trying to quit with little success. I know I have to quit and I want to so bad but the cravings are horrible. Everytime I do smoke a cig, I feel guilty and usually get sick but still can't seem to quit reaching for them. Any suggestions??

BethanyB930

Asked by BethanyB930 at 3:11 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• think of your childs health and well being. that should do it, or at least it did for me! i cared enough about my daughter to quit cold turkey. dont be selfish with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Get rid of them. Seriously. I smoked for twenty years. I quit while I was pregnant and it was the hardest thing I did. You can do this.
    You know everyone thinks that if you quit, you have to quit for yourself.
    That is bull.
    Noone ever does things for themselves really.
    It is for your baby.
    You would probably do anything for your baby.
    Now is the time to step up and tell yourself no.
    Buy low sodium sunflower seeds to help you for right now, but eating is not the answer for the long term.
    Good luck.
    And how is this for motivation: Not quitting is NOT an option.
    YOU MUST DO THIS. For your child.
    IT is hard. You can do it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:39 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Talk to your doctor, they may be able to help with something that won't be harmful to the baby.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:02 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I quit when I was pregnant too. It was really hard. What I did was picked a specific day to quit and before I went to bed the night before, I threw away my cigarettes and my favorite lighter (the latter was more symbolic than useful, as I had about a million lighters stored in the house) and then I just suffered through the cravings. DH was a sweetheart and quit with me so I didn't have the torment of watching him smoke and smelling it on his clothes. If he hadn't, I might have gone postal on him at some point during the process.....

You CAN do it, no matter how much you don't actually want to. I didn't want to either. But sometimes we have to.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 4:12 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I quit when I was pregnant with my first child. It was easier than I thought because the cig smoke made me sick but not as easy as I had hoped. I wish I could give you a good clear answer on how to do it but I think different things work for different people. What worked for me was that I had a friend who smoked like a fiend when she was pregnant. Then when her baby was just 3 or 4 mos. old he ended up in the hospital with breathing problems. I went to visit him in the hospital and saw him in a metal crib that looked very cold with oxygen and monitors hooked up to him. It took him a while to recover and he had to be on breathing treatments for a long time. After that everytime I smoked a cig when I was pregnant all I could see was that baby in that cold metal crib. I vowed that would not happen to my child because of me and I threw away my cigs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on May. 5, 2009

• when my dad stopped smoking her drank a lot of grape juice. the dr told him that it has something in it that flushes your system and helps get the stuff that makes you crave cigs out faster then anything else. also he would suck on a pepermint when he would get the urdge to have one. he also would "smoke" a cig without it being lit.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 10:15 AM on May. 5, 2009

• You just have to make up your mind that you're really ready to quit. It's really hard and I'm lucky that my hubby and i quit about 8 months before i even got pregnant but it's a daily struggle. I still want one sometimes. But now when I DO smell cigarette smoke it makes me ill. Get rid of all the ones you have in the house, and try shopping at places where you won't see them behind the counter and be tempted to buy more. THAT was the hard part for me, not buying more.If you need support just drop me a line.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 11:06 AM on May. 5, 2009

• have friends n family give you pics of them and their kids as babies n tape them threw out the house and think about them every time you go too smoke that u could cause one too die
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 11:45 AM on May. 5, 2009