my 2 1/2 month old sucks her thumb!

its so adorable and she looks so cute when she does it... but is it more than likely going to turn into a huge deal when shes older.. having her stop sucking her thumb?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:15 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• genevieve just started doing that if she is hungry lol it is so cute!
    my son did it til he was 6 months then he just stopped n his own , id just wait to see what happens maybe she will get sick of it later . lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:43 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I have to say I sucked my thumb until I was 12 what got me to stop...getting laughed at, also my teeth grew in crooked. I have cousin who is 38, still sucks her thumb her teeth look like mine it just does not bother her. Not passing judgement just saying I wish my family members corrected it instead of thinking it was cute because it turned into my problem. I can't afford braces but eventually plan on getting them. Good luck

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 5:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Every child is so different. I have heard of children picking it up and then being able to stop it early, while other children have a hard time stopping and need intervention.
    I have a daughter who put her thumb right into her mouth at birth before her whole body was outside of mine! At the age of 4, when she was able to understand reasoning, I explained to her why sucking her thumb was not good for her teeth and how doing it in Head Start might get her teased. So I told her my plan to help her and got her cooperation with it. We placed a sock on her hand at bedtime until she was no longer sucking her thumb. It was hard at first because she would pull it off in the night to suck, but she began to leave it on longer and eventually got used to it. She stopped completely within a couple of months and hasn't sucked since!
    Don't worry about your child until later. Right now, enjoy the cuteness of it. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:10 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My DS sucked his thumb a lot as a small baby. By about a year he would just suck his thumb at night and by a year and a half he hardly ever sucked his thumb at all. He's 3 now and I can't recall the last time he sucked his thumb. I would definitely say don't worry about it right now. It's a great sign that baby is learning to self soothe. When she is older and still sucking her thumb, then you might have to aid her in stopping. But chances are, she'll just grow out of it as she gets older and can do more.
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 8:21 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I soooo understand. My DD sucks on her fingers. I try pulling them out, but she has done it since birth. Yours is still little enough that you could try putting lil mittens on her hands.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 11:15 AM on May. 5, 2009