• In the Spotlight:

Is your toddler....

Is your toddler a junk food junky? My little man eats very well but he loves candy. We do not give it to him often but if he sees it he has to have it. How can I divert his attention to something else without him having a mental breakdown? Any ideas?

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 7:10 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't really. He has to learn to deal with the disappointment of not getting what he wants. Redirection works for 1 year olds but 2 year olds need to start learning what is and isn't acceptable.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my 2yr old son is the same way if he sees candy he says "want some" or "candies candie candie" i simply explain to him that he can have one piece after lunch or after dinner. i then devert his attention to something fun like coloring or dancing..at this age it simple to divert them lol..if he still insists that hes hungry or wants "candies" give him something sweet but good for him like dried fruit..my son thinks these are candies...good luck hun
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 8:30 AM on May. 5, 2009

• We don't have junk food in our house...we do not buy chips,lil debbies,candy...etc. I do bake cookies..though by my DD has always know she can only Have ONE after lunch and if she eats on her lunch. She is so used to not having junk food that when we go to the store she whines to buy strawberries or raspberries...not a candy bar or etc.... You just need to get rid of the junk food in your house and limit it
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 9:50 AM on May. 5, 2009