Breastfeeding Question

I want to nurse my baby once he/she gets here (EDD January 2010) and I was wondering if I could get some assistance with my milk supply. With my son in 2001 I could only express 1 oz from either breast. Would my doctor be able to prescribe me something to help my milk come in more?

I hate the idea that I won't be enough for my baby. I want to make sure he/she gets all they need. My son was in the hospital for the first 3 weeks of his life and I couldn't be with him all the time in order to nurse or pump. When I was I stored my milk in the milk bank at the hospital. Any suggestions?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 7:48 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it's any consolation, I was never able to pump more than an ounce at a time (even if I sat there for an hour!) , but when my daughter would breastfeed she would get plenty! She never had a problem gaining weight at all. I asked a consultant about it and she just said that some women can't pump effectively.

What you'll need to do is see how much weight your newborn is able to put on a keep on when he's breastfeeding. Hopefully, he'll get enough. If not, you may have to supplement or go entirely to formula.

I've also heard of some special teas (I think one of them is by Earth Mama Angel Baby) that supposedly help with milk supply. But I would always ask your doctor first.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 9:50 AM on May. 5, 2009

• When your baby arrives, nurse as much as you can without supplements. The stimulation will make your milk come in and then after awhile your body will self regulate to your baby's needs. Pumping is never a good indication of supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• The more the baby nurses, the more milk your body will produce. , Do your best to make sure that when your baby sucks, he is nursing and not just sucking. Do not try to follow a strict schedule. Your milk supply will have a better chance of keeping up with your baby. pump If your need too don't let too many hours pass. Give the baby both breasts make sure you switch up. Don't stress, that effects it as well. There are herbal remedies but ask your doc first if it gets to this Fennel and fenugreek ...I have heard red raspberry, chamomile, motherwort, and milk thistle work as well.

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 8:23 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Both of the other answers are correct!! My daughter also drank a tea called Mothers Milk tea. It will help you increase your supply.
    Nanna22

Answer by Nanna22 at 9:50 AM on May. 5, 2009