This stinks.... school closed for two weeks. (swine flu)

a case of swine flu showed up in Henry County Georgia. They shut down the school as soon as the suspected it to be the Swine Flu. Today they said it is confirmed to be swine flu and that they school will remain closed for the next two weeks...

There are only 3 weeks of school left, but several people have told me that the kids will have to go back and make up this time missed before they get their summer break.

I wonder what parents are doing that didn't have another source of child care set up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• In Seattle, they're opening the schools they originally closed because it's just not that serious. Yes, there's confirmed swine flu, but it's not deadly and they finally realized it doesn't warrant keeping everyone home. Hopefully, other school districts will get their head's back on and re-open the schools so kids and parents can finish out the year. This is ridiculous!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:03 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Henry county schools are not closed. Eagles Landing Christian school is closed because one of their 14 yr old students tested positive. They made a statement saying they are doing the recommended CDC cleansing and quarantine of the students. I am not sure about having to make up the school. Being that its a private christian school, they have requirements to keep their accreditation, but I don;'t know if they can get an exception or not. None of the public schools in the atl area have closed that I know of. My aunt lives in Eagles Landing subdivision.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:46 AM on May. 5, 2009

• At least 533 schools enrolling about 334,000 children had closed across the country as of Monday because of the outbreak, according to the U.S. Department of Education. The schools are in about two dozen states.

An entire school district west of Detroit closed after a high school student came down with an apparent case of the illness. All 140 schools in the Fort Worth (Texas) Independent School District have closed until May 8, a system that serves 80,000 students.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I live 3 miles from the school that was shut down. My friends' dd goes there and we spend a lot of time with them. The dad was over here for a "guy's day" on Saturday. They are going to have to shut down the Church as well. ( it is a private Christian school) It is only a matter of time before they end up shutting down all of the schools in this county after this. There is no telling how many people this student and his sibling (suspected case) have come into contact with.
    I have a kiddo that is a preemie, so we are being vigilant with her since she was around our friends' child very recently. Plus, I am getting over tonsillitis and dd#1 is getting over hand, foot, and mouth...ugh!
    Many parents are scrambling right now and trying to line up friends, and family to help them. Some parents are taking time off of work... we're not sure how the county will handle make up time since there are only 3 weeks until school is out.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:52 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I live in North Georgia. A friend and I were talking about it this morning and we were wondering if other places were going to shut down too (like the day cares, churches, ect) I guess the news stations will keep us updated on that.

I'm not to overly worried yet since we are over an hour away.... and the numbers of people that are recovering fine look good.  I hope it stops spreading. My thoughts and prayers go out to those being affected by this right now....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:11 AM on May. 5, 2009