Why is it...

That when someone posts a question about starting a home based business there is always someone that has to put them down for that choice? Or when someone says they don't want a business they get 15 replies about businesses?

Is there the slightest possibility that we can just give people the advice they came for and not all the side comments? They don't help!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:58 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I agree no one should be putting someone down for there choice....I don't give a post about my business if they specifically say NO businesses...but if they say job and it is kind of wide open...I usually explain the difference between the business and a job and tell them about my business...then I don't bother them...unless they contact me...I am getting tired of all the negativity on here....Every time someone posts a question for help there is some anonymous person (almost always anonymous) that puts them down and says harsh things. I totally agree with you! I know we are women...but that is not an excuse to act like that...I posted a question about this site being for support and not rudeness and that is an answer I got...Because we are women...lame excuse!
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 9:11 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I think some peole are to busy thinking about ME ME ME instead of what this site is about. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all!!! Geeze :) And if you have a business don't push it on people who say they don't want one, if they don't want it you are just going to annoy them. Plus your business will grow if you are truly trying to help someone and not just further yourself. great question!!!!!!!
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 9:55 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I would love a legitimate home based job that requires little or no start up fees associated with a business or a scam. I don't have the money to put into a business, but I hate being away from home. I get answers "Well, I sell Mary Kay." or GPT sites. I do GPT sites on the side, but I want enough to be able to quit my job so I can be home at night. I gave up asking here because all I got was invest $300 or babysit.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:57 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Most home based business are scams. Of course the ladies online who do them will say they are not but they are trying to get referrals. I would not do a business unless it had a tangible product I would touch and sell and was not a company where I had to try and get my friends and family to try and sell.  A friend of ours sells Monavie and tried to get us on board.  He showed what you could make and what not.  We asked him how many hours a week he works he said about 50-60 hours.  He only made about 150-300 a week.  My husband works 40 hours a week and makes 2800 a week.  We told him no thank you we were not going to work more hours for less money.  More moms would bring in more money by simply working opposite their spouse a couple days a week.  They would not have to wait for referrals and make the money they need now. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I don't know what makes some people tick, why are they so mean to others.

I tried to work at home (while in between jobs). All that I got was high blood pressure. It's so easy to want to stay at the project for completion of prefection, to daylight the next morning for every evening I work. Almost an obsession. I lose myself, and gain weight. The work was completed, but I never got paid. My BP has fallen from189/130 to 135/90, since I started working outside of the home.

However, I have a friend who is an awesome childcare provider. She is accredited. Her business and her house is immaculate.

It takes a very smart person to balance WAHM lifestyle.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:12 AM on May. 5, 2009

• There are ways to work from home successfully. Do you have a former employer you can work for remotely? Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a work from home business? I have a friend who make hair accessories in her basement, and sells them to children's boutiques all over the midwest. I work out of my dining room, doin freelance bookkeeping and career and job search coaching. I am always happy to help fellow cafe moms with resumes, cover letters and job search strategies; feel free to contact me directly.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 12:56 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Thanks, Anon, for proving the point here!
    Have you personally tried all of the homebusiness that are available? Have you been to all of their websites? Surely you've bought from Avon at one time in your life?
    Success does NOT depend on the business, it depends on the person, which is why if you're not passionate about what you do, you won't be successful, and will probably give others a negative opinion.
    And a lot of moms would trade working more hours for less money if it meant they could raise their children at the same time (not to mention, daycare costs an arm & a leg, so the income would even out anyway)

Sabrina, if you ever catch me pushing my business on someone who clearly does not want one, PLEASE let me know, because I try not to, but I do sometimes get a little excited ;)
    But I always offer information on the "job" that I do as well.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Anon at 10:40 is the voice of reason and reasonable people know that. As to the rest of you, well, good luck, you'll certainly need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on May. 6, 2009