Does anyone have tropical fish? I neep help...(pioc)

My husband talked me into getting fish last night. We got 5 neon glo-fish, 3 tetra, and a bottomfeeder. Before we even got home a tetra had died (I think the lady at Walmart gave it to us dead though). And this morning my pink glo-fish died... I'm sad because she was my favorite. All the others are yellow and orange.

My question is, does anybody know the policy at Walmart for fish?
And can someone help me out with letting me know if I doing something right or wrong?

We've got them in a 3 gallon filtered tank with a heater. We're feeding them Tetra tropical fish flakes. The saleslady said that is fine, and they all could live together...but...I'm questioning Walmart's actual amount of information regarding the keep of fish....

Is there any help out there????

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:03 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• we don't buy fish at Walmart they always die sorry go find a different store
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 9:30 AM on May. 5, 2009

• NEVER buy tetras- EVER. I have had numerous fish tanks throughout my life and the tetras always die- why do you think they are so cheap? Recently, I purchased fove neon tetras and five rummy nose tetras, two weeks later I have 0 neons and 1 rummy nose. No matter where you buy them, they are just not hardy fish which last a long time. You are better off with sword tails and angel fish.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:18 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Well, I wanted some angelfish, but they weren't in stock. :-(
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:20 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My kids love angel fish- we lost some a few months ago to ICK in the tank and as soon as I think it's safe, I'm going to get a few more. I really like the teeny weeny ones!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:26 AM on May. 5, 2009

• If its a brand new tank, it needs to cycle before you put fish in it. As far as wal-mart fish go.... I have had the WORST luck with them. Every one that I bought for my dad's koi pond died within a week. Then my DD bought me a puffer for x-mas there and it had parasites that wiped out half of my big tank (55 gallon)

Our wal-mart has a 90 day return policy if you have a receipt. Pack up your dead fish in zip-locks and go get your money back. Then take a water sample from your tank to a real pet store and let them test your water.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:28 AM on May. 5, 2009

• walmart will take fish that pastaway up to 3 days what the problem is the fish got stressed out which if you have a brown bag and cover the fish bag with that intil you get home you will have better luck not just that you should ask the lady what temp of water they use for the fish so you can almost have the same temp of water good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Oh, dang. What do I do if I already flushed them down the toilet??
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:03 AM on May. 5, 2009