Does anyone have tropical fish? I need help (pioc)

My husband talked me into getting fish last night. We got 5 neon glo-fish, 3 tetra, and a bottomfeeder. Before we even got home a tetra had died (I think the lady at Walmart gave it to us dead though). And this morning my pink glo-fish died... I'm sad because she was my favorite. All the others are yellow and orange.

My question is, does anybody know the policy at Walmart for fish?
And can someone help me out with letting me know if I doing something right or wrong?

We've got them in a 3 gallon filtered tank with a heater. We're feeding them Tetra tropical fish flakes. The saleslady said that is fine, and they all could live together...but...I'm questioning Walmart's actual amount of information regarding the keep of fish....

Is there any help out there????

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:04 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Pets

• NEVER buy fish from Wal*Mart for starters. Always run the fully-set up tank for a day or two before adding fish. Have the water tested. Always add clorine-remover otherwise the clorine burns the fish from the inside out. Make sure the temperature is 72-75 degrees. equalize the temperature between the bag and the tank by floating the (opened) bag in the top of the tank for an hour or two, and gradually add tank water to the bag, then THROW AWAY the water in the bag after gently netting the fish out into the tank. Don't mix goldfish and tropicals. Goldfish are coldwater fish just for starters, and don't do well in tropical tanks, and they are bullies, too. Don't put all the fish in at once, get them gradually, 3-4 at a time, and don't overload the bio-capacity of your tank. One inch of fish length to each gallon of water is recommended. That means the size the fish will be when grown. (They are babies when you buy them.)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:37 AM on May. 5, 2009

• how long have you had ur tank full and running befor you got the fish? did you have the water tested? an actual pet shop will test your water for you before you buy anything and will always let you exchange if they die within a certain amount of time. I worked at a pet shop for some time when i was pregnant, I dont know everything but i could probably point you in the right direction
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 9:55 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Well, we actually got the fish and the tank and everything at the same time. My husband was just worried sick that the fish were gonna die if they stayed in the bag for too long, so the water only got to circulate for about an hour or two (with heater running, plus water treatment). I read everywhere on the boxes that the tank should circulate for 24 hrs before adding fish, but we already had the fish. It was too late to wait 24 hrs. :-(

What do you suggest I do?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:05 AM on May. 5, 2009

• whenever you set up a tank, you should let it run for a day or so, then add a "throwaway fish" like a goldfish in there, something that you won't get attached to if it dies. then, after a few days or so with no problems, add real fish in there. i would NEVER buy fish from walmart- that's just me. i'd go to a fish store where they have more knowledgeable people and warranties on their fish. then, when you have a problem, they can help you fix it. right now, you already have fish in there, so there's no sense in trying to start over unless they all die. you can take a sample of the water in a very clean small container to a pets tore and they will test the water. more than likely, the fish were stressed from being put in the water too soon. you should put the bag int he water to float for a bit so the temp in the bag reaches the temp of the water. then, open the bag a bit and let some of the tank water in the bag. continued...
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:24 AM on May. 5, 2009

• after the fish has swum around for a bit in its bag with some of the tank water mixed with its old water, then you can let it in the tank. they need to acclimate to the new temp and water, since it won't be the same. good luck next time. it sounds like the fish you got are not very "fancy" fish, so don't worry too much that they've died. next time just go to a real pet store and talk to someone about the fish you want and how to care for them. i would pick up a book or two for easy reference too, it always helped us, and we had a big 55 gallon tank with all sorts of tropical fish for YEARS.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:29 AM on May. 5, 2009

• We don't have any pet stores here. Only Walmart, lol. We did let the bag sit on top of the water for the hour or so before we put them in there. I can try to get the water tested, but like I said, we don't have any pet stores. Can a pool store do the same test?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:34 AM on May. 5, 2009

• It doesn't sound logical, but a bigger tank is easier to take care of than a smaller one. In all honesty your 3 gallon tank should only have 3 neons in it! I've had several aquariums for the past 26 years, working up to where I now have a 45 gallon tank of SE asian fish, a 125 gallon tank of Amazon basin fish, and a little 10 gallon tank of livebearers. DON'T think that "TROPICAL" means HOT. Too many beginners are heat-fiends. Tropical waters are 72-75 and don't let the temperature fluctuate. Keeping the temperature even is easier with a larger tank--it takes a larger amount of water longer to heat or cool than it does a smaller amount. (Don't set the tank in front of a window, on a radiator or next to a door, for instance.) Oh and I do suppose you have an aquariun heater and a thermometer in it, don't you? Please have them....
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:51 AM on May. 5, 2009

• If you have a 3 gallon tank, it is too small for glo-fish. They are very active fish, and need at least 10 gallons to be able to swim around in. Plus having 9 fish in there would be way overcrowded. The general rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon.

Your best bet if you keep the tank is to let it run for a week before adding any fish, getting the water chemicals stabilized (places like Petsmart will test water samples for free). Neons, male guppies, and a single male beta are good choices.

Goldfish are not easy fish to own, espeically in a small tank. They produce a lot of amonia.

Also important! Keep an eye on how your water is doing. You should be replacing 10% of the water once a week and 25% with cleaning every 4 weeks. Small tanks have wilder fluctuations in pH levels than bigger tanks, so get some test strips and monitor it regularly.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:52 AM on May. 5, 2009

• You SHOULD never have to "tear down" your tank--putting the fish in another container, cleaning the gravel and accessories and starting with new water, but you WILL! If you keep the pH up, remove and replace about 1/4th of the water each week (treating the new water and bringing it to tank temperature first) and clean the filter according to directions, without destroying the beneficial bacteria, it will be a long time before you do have to tear it down. (A year or two, at least.)Don't leave the lights on in the hood 24/7. You will have an algae infestation faster than you can turn around! Algae and Ich are horrors for aquarium keepers! Ich (white spot disease) kills the fish, and an algae infestation kills the looks of the tank. Always have ich medicine on hand because it invariably breaks out on Friday night when the fish stores are closed for the weekend.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:04 AM on May. 5, 2009

• If you are not going to keep live plants in your aquarium (and I don't recommend it for a beginner) your best bet is to get some "Algae-Destroyer" tablets or liquid and use it according to directions, Feed your bottom feeder (plecostamus or cory cats) with sinking pellets. Put in at night just before you turn the lights off.
    Sorry for all the posts, but they just don't provide enough room here!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:14 AM on May. 5, 2009