Old Testament Question

I keep reading that Christians say Jesus fulfilled the OT and they only have to follow the NT, but then Christians keep referring back to the 10 Commandments and the OT. Which is it? I'm not trying to bash, but I don't understand. Are you supposed to ignore the OT or not? Why does it keep getting used to justify opinions?

Marwill

Asked by Marwill at 9:05 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The 10 commandments are restated in the NT. And I find it confusing too. Many Christians state that they do not need to follow the OT yet reference it all the time. If you get a chance to watch the HBO special of Lewis Black in Washington D.C. I suggest it. He addresses this very issue and it is funny.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:13 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Jesus came to fullfill the old laws- but he never says he came to replace them or destroy them.
    Paul is the one who brought up the whole 'the old laws are not defunt' thing. It all comes back to the many contradictions between Jesus and Paul and whether you think Paul's word is from God... but if that's the case, then isn't what Jesus said now a lie?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:15 AM on May. 5, 2009

• http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-law.html

Hope you don't mind a link, but it's too much for me to post. I go to this site often, it's a great resource.

deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:49 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I get confused about this also, good question..I hope you get some intelligent answers that make some since.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:18 AM on May. 5, 2009

• The way I understand it, is that the moral code of the old testament still holds, while the nitty-gritty enforcement is no longer needed.

For example, it's still important for us to keep the Sabbath day holy, but we don't need to count how many steps we take, or worry about accidently cooking an egg by setting it next to a fire as they did in the law of Moses.

Part of this is because the law of Moses was spiritual law AND a political law that ruled a nation of people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 5, 2009

• "Well it seems to me you pick and choose"-- Jack Black as Jesus in Prop 8: The Musical.

If you're going to follow the OT then FOLLOW IT or don't follow it at all. That means no pork, no shellfish, no cheeseburgers (hamburgers are fine), considering your self unclean during your period. Seriously, you can't pick and choose what laws you follow just because they're in convienient or they prove that your God is better or what ever. That's just my opinion.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 10:59 AM on May. 5, 2009

• But it's really not convenient following the higher law that Christ taught.

He took what was taught in the Old Testament and augmented it. No longer is it just a sin to fornicate as taught in the OT, he taught it was also a sin to even lust after someone.

Regardless of if I get to eat Pork now, that's much harder to do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2009

• This is my understanding. I think most of the OT laws are social mores. Mores are unreflective customs accepted by a given community. Many of the practices that the Bible prohibits, we allow, and many that it allows, we prohibit. I think they were written for the times as a form of "crowd control" especially in reference to the OT's sexual mores. So yes, Jill, I agree with you very much. I don't understand it either.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:40 AM on May. 5, 2009

• You have to come to an understand what Jesus DID on the Cross. The best book I read that explained it so well.. Destined to Reign by Joseph Prince.
    He talks about how Jesus fulfill the OT but becoming the sacrificial lamb... the perfect Lamb to take away the sin of the world.. He became Grace and it is through Grace we can become sin free. Does that mean we are sinless? No but we can become free from the sin that binds us We will still sin but it is knowing that He died for that sin and welcoming Grace in that sets us free.
    If we abide by the commandment Love your God with all your heart and love you neighbor it coves the entire 10 Commandment.
    If we Love God with our own Heart we will have no need to dishonor our parents, worship other idols and so forth. If we Love our Neighbor we will have no desire to murder or steal or covet what they have. The OT law is still there just covered by those 2 commands alone.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:58 AM on May. 5, 2009

• One of about 37685 things I will never understand about Christianity. They claim to worship an unchanging God. God said his law was perfect and eternal. But then He apparently changed His mind one day. Riiiight.
    taylor-made

Answer by taylor-made at 12:59 PM on May. 5, 2009