ultrasounds???

I had an ultrasound at my first appt. and i asked the nurse yesterday when I will have another one and she told me that I won't unless medically necessary. This threw me off because I thought there would be more than one at least to try and find out sex of baby?? When and how often is it normal to have ultrasounds (this is my first pregancy and Ihaven't had any problems so far)

MsBBDZ

Asked by MsBBDZ at 9:12 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you should get two more ultrasounds before you deliver. one at around 15-20 weeks and one more at around 32-35 weeks.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:13 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I had 2 total. one at 9 weeks and another at 21 weeks. The 21 week was to see if they could tell the sex. Some places do 3 if for some reason your measurements aren't good or the baby is in the wrong position. It all depends what your insurance pays for. I am military and I was allowed 2 unless there was a medical reason to need more.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:15 AM on May. 5, 2009

• ok, thank you ;]
    MsBBDZ

Answer by MsBBDZ at 9:17 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I think it's normal to have an ultrasound in the very beginning, but only to tell how far along you are (if you're sure), or if you are high-risk. And then one around 18-20 weeks to determine the gender and to make sure the baby is growing correctly. Sometimes you'll have more, sometimes less. With my last baby, they thought she was breech and I had one 2 weeks before my due date...it was awesome! They pinpointed her weight and were only a few ounces off.
    XTTHGREEDX

Answer by XTTHGREEDX at 9:20 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I guess my doctor is rare...I have had 5 so far and am scheduled for another at 26 weeks. I dont know about after that. But my doctor has a big machine in his office. With my almost 7 year old my insurance only paid for 2 unless medically needed but they were at the hospital. I had 3 though because my awesome doc fibbed so my mom could go to one with me.
    Carli26

Answer by Carli26 at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I was high risk with my son. So from 7 months on I had an ultrasound and blood work every week. I am hoping with this baby that I won't have the complications that I had with my son. So you should have at least 2 ultrasounds. One to determine gestation age and the second later on to determine growth, again gestational age and possibly gender.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:41 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Ive had three so far and im 19 weeks...I had one at 6 week(when we found out), one at 10 weeks (because we couldnt pick up the heartbeat on the doppler, so we were jsut checking to make sure everything was fine, then one at 16 weeks to find out the sex of the baby!!! I have no idea when/if I will have another one, but I am paying for the 3D/4D one so that I can at least see my little booger again =)

But i got lucky with my doctor too...all of my friends have maybe 10 pictures from their entire pregnancy up until this point, and I have right at thirty. i get a lot of copies and different ones when i go =)
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 9:43 AM on May. 5, 2009

• they generally do one at 20 weeks to determine sex other than that if your pregnancy is low risk with no complications... I would stay away... they make Dr's feel overly empowered
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 9:45 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i think the nurse may have just misunderstood what you were asking. i would ask again next time that you go. they have to do one at around 15-20 weeks to make sure that they baby is growing and that just happens to be the time that they can tell if it is girl or boy baby. i got lucky this time and get one everytime because of theme being twins.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 10:09 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Typically you have one at your first visit at around 8 weeks then again during your 4 month visit. I had them just about every visit because I'm also a type 2 diabetic!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:43 AM on May. 5, 2009