Am I doing enough?

I weigh 222lbs. I drink nothing but water (no soda!). And I have starting walking 1 mile (sometimes more) every day. I eat a high fiber cereal for breakfast, a tuna sandwich for lunch, usually some grapes or a banana for snacks & then dinner (which varies).
I havent lost 1 lb! Sometimes I think Ive gained a little this week!
Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• continued...speed walk (walking brisk enough to not be able to carry on a conversation), then begin to do sprints (walk for 4 min., sprint for 1 min.), and build from there. This raises your heart level.

When you do cardio, your body gathers energy from the sugar in your body. If you aren't eating good forms of protein, then after your body takes all the sugar stores, then it goes straight to the muscles. Since muscle burns fat (cals) you need to keep your muscle, not reduce it.

So its always advisable to do 8 min. warmup, 30 min strength training (with handbells) then 30 min. cardio last. When you warm up, your heart rate increases, then you go into strength training, your body goes from the sugar stores (which means you don't want to have had alot of starches in your last meal b/c you are not training for a marathan), then it goes to the fat to get its energy. Try this and you'll see a diff. in about 1 week.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well you need to walk to the point of your heart rate increasing and staying up. A walk is good but it needs to increase your heart rate for at least 30 minutes to do any good. You need to do some weight training and cardio as well. Try swimming or going to the gym and using an elliptical machine. Watch your calorie intake. If your not eating enough calories your body will do the opposite of what you want as it will eat the good fat and keep the bad. Start doing sit ups and walk a little faster for longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i weigh the exact same amount as you do. but i did not cut out my soda completely. i made my own diet. i cut out salt and sugar. so i switched from reg. pepsi to diet pepsi. and i do not cook with salt. i know it is for seasoning but i cut all salt completely. when i buy veggies at the store i do not get canned because it has all of those preservatives and a lot of sodium. i buy frozen veggies. fruit is good for you just in moderation because of the sugar even though it is natural sugar. and the one mile that you walk may not be enough. you should walk for 2-3 hours a day and break a sweat. sweating is another factor and is how you can burn more calories.i started my diet about 4 months ago and i have lost 25 lbs. so i now weigh 198lbs. good luck and keep at it don't slow down and don't give up
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:20 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I try getting a good jog on the treadmill but it only is about 10min & my shin bones start killing me to the point i want to cry! Im too out of shape for the eliptical. so sad! I did about 5min (or less) & could barely walk for the next 5days!
    Ive been buying alot more frozen instead of canned as well.
    I guess i will try upping everything.
    Since dd was born (2.5) ive tried losing weight. but ive actually gained 20lbs in the mean time.. im scared ill never lose the weight so i can have baby #2 without worrying about weight related complications!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 5, 2009

• it would be in your best interest to lose what weight you can before getting pregnant with baby number 2. also you will need the extra energy after baby 2 comes. start exercising slowly and increase your speeds and distances every week. you will get into a good exercise regime. i used to do taebo. that will work your ass off and it is fun too. go to the library and see if they have it on dvd. everything in moderation. also try switching your bread from white to wheat. the white bread has processed flower. look up atkins diet and see if you could do that. my dad does that and he has lost almost 100lbs. he is now 500lbs. he was a big guy i know but the atkins diet works for him. and your shin bones are hurting because of the weight you are putting on them. mine are the same way but is going a way a little at a time since i am losing weight.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:43 AM on May. 5, 2009

• If your shins are hurting when you jog, then I would be sure and not do that, as of yet. :) First of all, if you are jumping on the treadmill and going straight to a jog mode, your muscles are straining from a cold state to a hard core workout. Always, I mean ALWAYS, do a good steady brisk walk, but not a run for at least 8 min. to 10. THEN, you can go into a jog if your body allows.

Your shins hurt b/c the muscle is pulling away from the shin bone. That is never good and will injure you and knock you out of working out even more. Start slow, but with some energy, and build. Don't use others as a yardstick. Discover what YOU are able to do, then bump it up every few days to do one more lap, or one more set, etc.

Jogging shouldn't be your ex. of choice anyway. It compresses the spine when your feet hit. When you have extra weight thats rough on on the muscles and the skeleton. I would first walk, then...
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• OK. So I guess what I gather.. no more sprinting/joggin for a while. just longer walks or other forms of cardio without beating my legs into the ground (lol). eat more beans & chicken (i eat chicken 1-2 times a wk) maybe instead of cereal have a egg sandwhich or healthy omlett a few times a week to up my protien.
    i have ondemand, so i try to do a few videos on there a few times a week while dd is naping..
    Thanks ladies! :)
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you are not eating a balanced diet. I don't believe in dieting; it will just keep you on the gain/lose roller coaster. Here is the family lifestyle change that will work for life. At least 20 minutes of brisk walking or other exercise at least three times a week. Drink water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Eat fruits & vegetables, 7-8 servings in at least 3 colors a day. Start replacing your white foods (simple grains like white rice, bread, pasta) with whole grains (like brown rice, quinoa, whole grain bread & torillas, whole wheat pasta, working your way up to 7 servings of whole grains a day. Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy; eat beans and lentils. Go to your local library & look for any book by Dr. McDougall. Free meal plans and recipes here: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. I have many family-tested recipes, msg me any time!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• the more you have to loose the faster you loose so im suprised your not seeing much improvment. You'r diet sound good you are off to a good start but perhaps you need to increase your workout, jog for 5 minutes then walk for 5 then jog, ect..to increase your heart rate, the secret is to really push yourself it sucks but is effective. But if you feel dizzy or incrdibly fatiged please do stop, and make sure to stay hydrated during workouts, goodluck!
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 10:02 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I didn't have time to read all the other advice which I'm sure some of it is great. However I can add one thing. You need to keep the cardio for sure and add weights...if you start to build muscle it will help you burn more calories throughout the day even while at rest and sleep. Also getting enough sleep is important and eating about 5 times a day, small meals, try to keep them under 400 calories and make the calories quality. Only complex carbs (which you need about 90 minutes before a workout), lean protein, fruits and veggies, cut out ALL sugar except in fruits....
    Also, I subscribe to Oxygen magazine and love it. It has really taught me a ton about weight, nutrition and fitness. Please ask if you need any more advice, I have a lot to give but don't want spill it all right here.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 1:53 PM on May. 6, 2009