Pediatrician or Family practice doctor

Do you use a pediatrician or a family practice doctor for your kids. I currently have a pediatrician. I really like her, but i can't stand the office help. They are so rude and unhelpful. There office is open until 7 during the week and when ever i call and ask for a late appointment so i don't have to take off work early, they never want to give it to me. So i was considering changing but there aren't a lot of pediatricians in my area. What kind of doctor do you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use a pediatrician and a family doctor. We share our family practice doctor as were military so they will see her for sick call hours of if I can't get in to her doctor. I love her pediatrician but hate the staff as well. Speak to the doctor about his staff and make them aware of the problem. Tell them you prefer late appointments but they either refuse to give it to you or are rude about it and have him set it up for you.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:23 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My kids see a pediatrician. I prefer taking my kids to a pediatrician because I feel more comfortable knowing that this is someone who specializes in childhood illnesses and will be more likely to catch something specific to a particular age group.

I would definitely talk to the doctor about his/her staff and explain why it is they make you uncomfortable. You might even mention that, even though you really don't want to, you have considered changing offices because of the hassles you have gotten scheduling appointments. I would definitely talk to them before you find another doctor. If no one ever tells them there is a problem, they can never take the steps to fix it.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 9:40 AM on May. 5, 2009

• We have always used a family practice doctor.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:25 AM on May. 5, 2009

• We have always used only our family practice. I like having one person take care of the entire family. I don't have to repeat all of my medical history, because he already knows it. He was my OB, does my paps, does my kids well baby checks and sees any of us if we become sick. I always can get an appointment within a day or two when I call. I don't feel that a pediatrician would be any better as my doctor stays up with everything and is not afraid to send us to a specialist when it is needed. My youngest baby has several specialist because of his birth defects but he still goes to our family practice.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 11:44 AM on May. 5, 2009

• We see a family doc because every ped we talked to was rude a pretentious and acted like they were God.
    Anonymous

• I started out with a Family doctor, but they totally sucked and knew nothing! They put in their paperwork that my daughter was premature! She was 6 days past due!! Something was also wrong with her breathing and although it turned out to be nothing serious the Family doctor said it was just congestion and then they changed it to allergies. That wasn't it!! So then I finally saw the light and changed doctors, to a pediatrician this time around. They right away told me what was wrong with her breathing. But I mean it just really depends on the doctor because you can also have a pediatrician who is a complete idiot.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Absolutely Family Practice. My daughter, husband, sister and family, and several friends all go to the same doctor; true family medicine. We never considered a pediatrician (much to the grandmothers' consternation).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:22 PM on May. 5, 2009