I have a cat who has the run of the house with the exception of the baby's room (we don't want her in the crib or on the changing table ). Currently the only way we have of keeping her out is to leave the door to the room shut 24/7 which I hate because it keeps the room warmer than we'd like and makes the house look dark without being able to make use of the sunlight coming through the windows of that room. Is there any way to keep a cat away from certain objects? We've tried putting tape in

Pets, cats, baby, sanitary, cleanliness, home

alleyway.ink

Asked by alleyway.ink at 9:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pets

• Not sure what areas you're speaking of but I've heard for smaller places aluminum foil works. They don't like the way it feels under their paws and most don't like the noise. Why does it worry you so much? My cats have always been allowed in our children's rooms and we've never had any problems.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My cat I let around the baby but only when I was close by or in the room. The cat is only curious. The only real way to keep them away is if you literally shut the door. You can get a baby monitor and stick it in the room if your that concerned. Umm you could try getting a clicker and when ever the cat is out of the babies room give her a treat but she may get fat. Some people use malt balls like for a garden to keep cats out of things. But I think that would make to room stink and having the baby in there would possibly be toxic. Other then keeping the door shut there is once again nothing you can do expect yell or spank the cat once one the butt for being in the wrong area she or he will eventually get it.
    CuteCowgirlMami

Answer by CuteCowgirlMami at 9:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• We got our DD a Crib tent from Wal mart. We have 2 cats and it is working for us.
    streetmama

Answer by streetmama at 9:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• ** The reasons we don't want the cat in the crib are: 1)hair in the crib 2)urine or fecal bacteria that may transfer onto the sheet from cat's paws after being in the litter box 3) cats have been known to lie on babies' faces because they are drawn to the warmth (like how they like to lie in the sun) ** Thanks for your responses!
    alleyway.ink

Answer by alleyway.ink at 9:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Every animal has a scent that will drive them away. If you can find the scent the your cat doesn't like the you can spead it around the off limit areas. the smell doesn't always hve to be strong. animals have a very good sence of smell and we may not always notice a scent that they can. You should ask you vet for a good scent that is cat friendly...or unfriendly actually!
    mustang137

Answer by mustang137 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I heard that if you put bengay in something with a lid and put holes in it that the cats dont like the smell of it so that wont go in that area. But you have to change it often.
    I didnt do it. But I do know a few people who did it outside in their flowers. And they say it works... Good Luck!
    streetmama

Answer by streetmama at 9:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• they have spray that you can buy at petsmart that you cant smell but it has certain pheremones in it that cats dont like. hope this helps
    4weeman

Answer by 4weeman at 10:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Sounds silly ,but have you thought about putting up a screen door to the room?
    kimmie10575

Answer by kimmie10575 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• if you have them, stack 2 baby gates in the doorway. Light goes through, cat stays out. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Have you tried any of the repellent sprays for the cat? I have 3 cats and don't have those issues. So I can't recommend a certain brand to try. Just know they are there for behaviors like that.
    Navy_Wife_Tisha

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 3:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2008