What age is it okay to leave the skin on sliced apples to feed to my kids?

My 19 month old loves apples but I am afraid to leave the skin on. What age can they digest it okay? Also do you have suggestions how to incorporate more veggies and fruit throughout the day?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:24 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've always left the skin on the apples. What my son can't digest, he poops right on back out... However, I try to make sure I cut the apple such that no piece is mostly skin. You might try givng your child a choose between two fruits or veggies each time they're offered. My son eats better when he gets to pick. I also let him try everything I eat. Let him try the same things over and over. Toddlers and notoriously fickle so what they eat one day, the might not eat the next and vice versa. I always try to have snacks be fruits. I also find that offering the veggies first when he's hungry gives me better luck.
    Anonymous

• as soon as my DD had all her teeth...lol she does good
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 9:53 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 14 months and she eats apple skins. Give a fruit with breakfast, then as a morning snack. Lunch and dinner each get a veggie. Afternoon snack gets one or the other.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:03 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I still peel my 18 month olds apples before giving them to her. She has plenty of teeth but still has issues chewing through it so why bother, ya know? Depends mainly on your child. Let her try one with you close by and then decide...Of course even if she does well always be close by just in case. (But you knew that already, I know!)

I'm pretty lucky my daughter will eat about anything I give her. At breakfast she has a fruit, lunch is either a fruit or vegetable, and dinner is a vegetable. Snacks in between are occasionally her cookies but I've noticed that even if she's wanting a cookie, she wants even more whatever it is I'm eating. So I'll get some yogurt or sliced fruit or baby carrots and things in a bowl (not all together! Lol) and we'll sit together and share it.

At dinner time try things like stirfrys. makes them think it's all one thing but you get to sneak vegetables in.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 12:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Start with a small piece, and see if it gets chewed. A child under six should never have the skin from a non-organic apple; they are way too full of pesticides for a small body to process. Here is a pocket guide for buying produce: http://www.foodnews.org/EWG-shoppers-guide-download-final.pdf

Answer by rkoloms at 3:50 PM on May. 5, 2009